Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Is This Process So Stressful?

Rate this question

autumn

Question

**if this topic should be moved elsewhere, just let me know moderator as i didn't know whey to put it

when we veterans have our claims sent in with (documentation, corroboration, history, med reports, imo, etc) why is this process so stressful? or let me say stressful to me"me". the whole process has actually increased some of my symptoms that i'm SC'd for. i'm sure many of you can relate to that. just a fact, no complaint.

i can't really put it into words or perspective, this stressor of filing claims with the VA. its not only mental & physical, its financial stress, i.e. some of us have to get outside imo due to no one at VA will document the real deal, medically speaking. like a truthful supportive counter argument to what VA writes.

i thought i would ask this for myself and any other newbie to the system in that it might help them & me understand (if anything at the VA is understandable regarding claims)

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In my opinion, this is so stressful because the VA hopes you just quit and leave them alone. Also our well intentioned politicians are so far removed from the reality of what it is like to be a member of the military that has been injured to the point, that we now seek the very benefits that they have put in place to help us. But what they probably did not intend this giant bureaucracy to be so bad. I think that it is so far broken, I'm not sure it can be fixed.

Which brings us the websites like this. Can you imagine what it was like before the internet trying to file a claim? Research? I'm gonna take a wild guess here, but I have to believe prior to the internet, claims were probably approved every 1 in 50? with the internet we are probably up to 1 in 49. Not really sure about my numbers but I think the direction is correct.

Don't give up, learn all you can, use a service officer if you can find a good one that you trust, and if you feel the need to contact your congressman/Senator about an issue (which I have - got a positive result), let them know how stressful it is.

I'm sorry its affected you in a bad way, but you are not alone brother. Hang in there.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am a person who has never been part of the VA. I am married to a 100% disabled Vietnam Vet. I created my website because of what we went through to get his benefits.

Having said all that, I knew a couple of adjudicators for the VA, now retired.

Here are possibly some reasons why the process can be so stressful besides some thinking it is to block you from approval.

1. Each claim has to be logged in and filed before it can be worked. That takes time.

2. Documents need to be received from various areas...military/medical/civilian. These documents are not necessarily sent in a timely manner. After a certain amount of time, the documents are requested again and more time is spent waiting for responses. Sometimes no response occurs.

3. Congress has created a WHOLE BUNCH of rules/regs/guides that must be followed. Having to follow all these means the employee must have time to learn them...which doesn't always happen.

4. New computer systems come into the picture. Again employees need to be trained in their use.

5. A lot of employees who were well trained over a number of years have reached retirement age, thus retiring and leaving less well trained employees to continue.

6. Once information has been received to the best of the VA's ability, someone has to examine documents. This is where less well trained might miss stuff as they rush to work a claim. When you have piles and piles on your desk to be worked, it can get overwhelming.

7. It takes time to sift through and then compare to regulations/guides as well as input into computer.

8. When you have been starved of personnel for decades, it is hard to suddenly be up to capacity with well trained personnel.

Thank goodness for the computer and the fact that the VA put so much of their stuff out on the Internet for reading. It has to help them and us. Maybe if more people turn in better organized claims, the load and stress will slowly go down to more acceptable levels.

For now, with Vietnam Vets having new AO claims, returning military from the Wars being fought now and VA personnel scrambling to help all with minimal training since much IS new, the stress is probably sky high.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

Mainly because it deals with Entitlements and Money.

The system has been set up and implemented to be a massive maze of rules, regulations and roadblocks designed to make a claimant feel as though they have been through a guantlet when the process is finally over.

Bottom line. It aint easy, It was never intended to be and it never will be.

J

Let's not forget, that when they became overloaded with claims and paperwork, instead of hiring more people they decided to criminally (but never charged!) to SHRED DOCUMENTS at almost every VARO. Disgusting, un-patriotic, un-american and just plain wrong.

It's so stressful because:

The quality of the rest of your life depends upon the outcome.

You were promised that they "had your back" if anything bad happened, yet you must sacrifice and live like a peon for months and years to get your due.

You are made to feel like you're a lying thief because you can't work.

Others are envious that you aren't working and some want you to "prove your case" with them.

You can't trust the medical personnel and government workers you've been led to believe are there on your behalf.

You must become an amateur attorney at a time in your life when you may be ill-equipped to take on that task.

Your body/mind aren't functioning well and you might become incapacitated/homeless before the process is complete.

Just a few reasons I can think of.

HANG IN THERE! :smile:

• HadIt.com Elder

The VBA only cares about money. Many VA employees believe it is their God given duty to deny vet's claims because they have been taught by their elders that most vets are frauds and freeloaders. Do you wonder why it takes years for SSD or VA benefits? They are hoping you die before you collect. Our mission is to evade and avoid their paperwork traps to get to the goal. I have always looked at it that way even when I was losing. If you blow your brains out before you win your claim a little bell rings at the VARO. Another one bites the dust....high five!