VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loans

Rate this topic

RuskiLinguist

Ruski, that's my favorite moment of all the Indiana films. I always get intensely caught in that moment when he steps out and doesn't fall. The leap of Faith (capital F with a fall like that!). Thank you for that, for painting that picture and reminding me, and for being the handful of sand that gives me reassurance where Faith fails.

Medic, I called the number you gave, got the information. DH has to sign the forms and they'll go out next week (traveling to his mother's this weekend). Want to be calm when he signs and we address them out, and an impending trip is not a calm event.

Thank you again, everyone.

I have to go, packing calls and I'm still procrastinating!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruski

In regard to your life ins question, I was not able to get regular life insurance as a 100% disabled Vet, only the VA life. Yes, you can always get that "no qualifying" type of life insurance, but that insurance is:

1. Expensive

2. Only gives back premiums paid if you die within two years.

Finally, the first 10,000 of life insurance for 100 percent disabled Vets is free, because it includes waiver of premiums. I got my 10,000 Va life insurance about 4 years ago and the Va paid every cent in premium. Now, I could "cash in" that VA life insurance and get about $2000 cash. If a 100 percent disaabled vet does not get at least the first 10,000 in disabled Vets life insurance, he is throwing away money. JMHO.

You can always apply to Pru or Met or any other insurance company for life insurance, and it is possible to be cheaper than the VA's. However, remember permanent life insurance (that is, whole life) normally builds cash value, so the cheapest is not always the best, because the more expensive tends to build more cash values. Term insurance, is more like "rented" insurance, that expires and you have to give it back to the landlord. Term is cheaper. As far as which is best..if you tell me when you are going to die, then I will tell you whether term or whole life is better.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting a dead horse here ( or maybe just leading it back in from the pasture?)....

We sent the student loan discharge papers in to the loan servicing companies back in the end of May. I got back a letter from one saying that they were sending the claim into the VA, and the other one wanted another copy of the form (had done it online) for DH to sign and return. Since then, not a peep.

So as any normal Nervous Nelly, I'm starting to fret.

How long do discharges usually take?

Thanks for any input!

Sorry...

That said, the process is largely ceremonial. If you are totally disabled they will grant relief.

If you are 100% SS but not VA they will make you wait 3 years for total discharge and will monitor your income.

If you are 100% VA then it's automatic and done within a few months.

Thanks, China. It's my hubby, and he's 100% for PTSD plus 80% for scars and shoulder damage.

Hopefully it won't be much longer before we hear something.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use