VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loans

Rate this topic

RuskiLinguist

I used the form from this web site to apply for a student loan forgiveness shortly after I received my 100% schedular SC disability. In October of this year, I received a note from the Federal Student Aid folks stating that all of my student loans had been "forgiven".

I consider this an interrim success, and it is not trivial in that I had more than $16,000 in student loans. I am not P&T as some are suggesting you must be. All it requires as was described on a different post on this site is TDIU, or 100% for 1 or multiple SC conditions. The paperwork did say that they had to be P&T, but I firmly believe (and my experience proves me out) that the only condition is the same aswas described on here earlier. Either 100% SC or TDIU.

Bottom line is, I am doing the HAPPY DANCE, and You will be too as long as you at least try to submit the right paperwork.

Sincerely,

Ruski

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That absolutely rocks! You deserve all the benefits you earned through your service. Congratulations -

That is GREAT!

It worked for us too-

A VA doc signed the student loan waiver form for my husband. He owed only a few hundred bucks on his student loan but they called us here relentlessly. We were told if he made any more payments after his total disability date, they would not waive the balance.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is a major benefit since even if a person declares bankrupcy they cannot get out of student loans. Do you have disabled vet insurance. You can get a waiver on premiums. 10,000 in free insurance is enough to give you a nice send off with money to spare. I think that amount is way too low. Life insurance is supposed to take care of your dependents.

Thanks, John for helping. Yes, I did apply for the free $10,000 in life insurance. My father says we will have a hard time getting Life Insurance with a 100% disability. The VA's own pamphletes say we 100%ers can prolly get the insurance cheaper outside the VA. Anyone care to provide personal observations on the topic?

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use