Jump to content

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Old Injuries

Rate this question



I just recently received my SMR's from the NPRC and found evidence of some ankle injuries I had while on active duty. I had injured both of my ankles several times (playing football and training). I have had problems with both of them since then. I had treatment for it from a private doc. who has since passed away and I can't get any records from. My question is Can I file a claim for them since it has been more than a year since discharge? Also hurt right knee in a rapelling accident in training. I have an appt with a private ortho doc. to find out what is exactly going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

The 1 year rule is just a presumptive precursor to service connection.

All you need is the following.

A documented in service injury and treatment.

Post service treatment for the same condition to show chronicity.

A Nexus from a Doctor that relates the current condition to the in service injury.


A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can always file a claim, whether it will be granted as service connected and rated is another matter.

Take the SMR's with you to your Ortho appointment and when you are giving the doctor your medical history tell him you have records from those old injuries. If he reviews those old records and takes that information in account when he states his diagnosis his reference to your old injuries will be more than speculative. If he says your current conditions are directly related to or caused by the old injuries file for service connection. If this doctor was to fill out the va exam form it might make it easier to get SC. I believe the exam form can be found here on the HADIT site.

Best regards,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use