VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Replacement And % Rating

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a shoulder "scoped" several years ago. Thursday, In at 10 A.M. out by 12 noon, home by 4 P.M. Back to work on Monday. Then, a couple years later, I had a bicep muscle come unattached at the shoulder. Now bouys and gulls, I have never given birth, but I have been shot, stabbed ( still have a piece of the tip of the blade in the cervical spine, BTW ) had my ankle broken, 4 ribs cracked and a few other small mishaps, BUT I HAVE NEVER HURT LIKE SHOULDER SURGERY CAN HURT!

Morphine is good, more morphine is better.............................a LOT of morphine is NICE...... :D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, my husband had a tendon in his shoulder repaired and moved due to an injury. He also recently underwent two total knee replacements. There was no comparison in the two. The pain from the shoulder surgery was far worse that the knee surgeries.

But, as we ladies who have given birth can attest, you men don't know what pain is until you experience child birth. HA! HA!

Hope all goes well with you.

mssoup1

• 1 year later...

Your DAV Rep is wrong. You can only get 30% from the start. If after 1 year you continue to suffer from knee problems, you can get reevaluated and get bumped to either 60% or 100%. Very likely you would only get 60%. Though they say 100%, by statue, you can only get 80% for the leg, so the 100% would be reducted to 80%. If your getting now 30% for the knee and 10% for arthritis (thus making it 37%) your better off with the rating you have now. You can then claim the operation with the VA and they will give you a temporary rating of 100% for the operation and for the rehab time (probably 6 months) there after.

5055 Knee replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of knee joint:

For 1 year following implantation of prosthesis 100

With chronic residuals consisting of severe painful motion or weakness in the affected extremity 60

With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion rate by analogy to diagnostic codes 5256, 5261, or 5262.

Minimum rating 30

I have a 30% knee service connected va disability. I talked to the DAV guy at the VA hospital about having my knee replaced by my private Dr. (OWCP will pay 100%). I am hoping to stay off of work for about 3 months. I have two months of leave I can use.

DAV guy told me this:

1) when I get my knee replaced it will " automatically approved when requested" (when we file for upgrade) take my rating to 40% - the highest it can go. I will be Max out on my left knee.

2) while I am off of work and having my knee replaced, I will get 100% disability (when we file for it) for several months - it will just be temporary for a limited time - "automatically approved when requested."

Is this information correct? Any information I should know before I go for the knee replacement?