Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Basser Is Real Mad

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

As to not telling the VA about insurance. First, it's actually against the law. Next, the VA, if it goes to the trouble, can easily find out that you have insurance, be it medicare, group, or individual insurance.

Medicare is particularly troublesome, in that it's almost automatic for older veterans. This means that the VA can and will weasel out of paying for outside emergency medial services as one example.

And if the VA is really "on the hook", usually fight anyway.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have SC DMII. I have to have blood tests and urine tests etc. When I go for semi-annual trip to see my PCP my insurance gets charged for it all. I have about 8 SC conditions most related to agent orange. My insurance gets charged for it all. I had a VA audit. Nothing! I get charged for pain meds and consultations even though I have SC for chronic pain due to PN. I am paying over 4800 bucks a year to insure me and my wife via BCBS as retired federal civilian employee. I get screwed anyway. I earned that BCBS and I don't want to give it up unless it gets so expensive I have to seek some cheaper plan. They call these things "entitlements" as if they are welfare. We earned medicare, SSA, and VA with our blood, sweat and tears. The whole idea of charging 100% vets for anything is a shame and a slander on us.

As to not telling the VA about insurance. First, it's actually against the law. Next, the VA, if it goes to the trouble, can easily find out that you have insurance, be it medicare, group, or individual insurance.

Medicare is particularly troublesome, in that it's almost automatic for older veterans. This means that the VA can and will weasel out of paying for outside emergency medial services as one example.

And if the VA is really "on the hook", usually fight anyway.

I don't care if it is against the law....I am not getting charged for SC'd stuff on my insurance.

• HadIt.com Elder

It annoyed me and I found out there was little I could do about it.

Than I though that maybe the money they got from my Insurance could possibly help another Veteran.

So I am at peace. A side benefit it makes your deductible go away pretty fast

The va was billing medicare / tricare care for my oxygen. ( Not directly , but they gave my information to the oxygen supplier). After 4 years I told the va that this had to stop. I told the va I was going to change my medicare to a specific plain. Finally the va started to pay for the oxygen... I fought this for a long time.... not because money was coming out of my pocket, but because the va should have been paying for the oxygen..

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for the replies.

This to me is a matter or principal. Even though I am not paying the bill, another party should not have to pay for this is nothing but fraud.

I will go out on a limb here and say that this is a real big deal. If the insurance companies only knew the scope of this issue there would be lawsuits flying everywhere.

If each vet gets billed for 5K per year then that would add up into the high millions or even billions of dollars.

Basser