VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received Letter From Gwi

Rate this question

jokerwaswild

Question

Hello fellow vets, I finally recieved something back from the registry exam I had a few months back. However, not clear what they are saying. I know I was exposed to burning fuels and other B____S____ in the air; however, I do have severe ashtma and service connected 0%, could I use this to elevate my rating to a higher percentage?

Joker

post-11875-0-78037100-1324648639_thumb.j

Edited by jokerwaswild

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

2 answers to this question

They sure aren't saying much in that letter.

VA research and policy on Burn Pits etc is still in limbo to a great extent:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/hazardous_exposures.asp

"I do have severe ashtma and service connected 0%, could I use this to elevate my rating to a higher percentage?"

With a SC rating already, you could file for a higher asthma rating if you fit into a higher percent per the VA schedule of Ratings, available here under the Diagnostic Code link to the right of the main forum.

Are you still within the year appeal period for the Zero?

I understand a bill has been introduced into Congress as to further Burn Pits and other exposures in SW Asia.

There is considerable info on the net for this issue.

If a veteran's SW Asia MOS put them in close proximity to open burn pits or any other contaminant and they have a disabiity with no other etiology except for that exposure , they should certainly file a claim.

This type of wxposure issues often needs strong medical evidence of the medical link to the contaminant as well as proof of exposure via MOS and often they need to know the exact contaminant(s) involved (such as JP 4) for a successful award.

With the Asthma at SC already- VA has ,in my opinion, confirmed your exposure to something in SW Asia that caused the asthma so ,if you meet a higher rating criteria, the claim should not be difficult to decide.

@jokerswild, as stated below, you are already service connected, so proving exposure is not needed or helpful It is beneficial for getting the original grant. As far as getting a higher rating, that is based on how your condition affects you know, as all other conditions are based on not how you got the condition. Asthma is based on your pulmonary function test results or the percentages your test results showed. If you are using a daily inhaler you qualify for 10%. If they didnt do a pulmonary function test, request one.