Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Worried About My Rating.

Rate this question

Koalabiter

Question

Thanks for all the wisdom that you shared with me before my re-evaluation. I went in prepared, created a list and told the doctor how I really was. Fortunately, I had a great examiner who seemed very interested in what I had to say; he even gave me some advice about counseling groups to speak with. Today I received a letter from my advocate (DAV) saying that they reviewed my case and has increased my rating from 50% to 100%. I understand that this isn't the final decision, but now I'm confused and a little nervous.

I have a full-time job as a teacher. I thought that a 100% rating means that you are unable to work or hold a position that is considered "gainful employment."

Is this a fact that is going to be reviewed by the VA and taken into account? Is there any risk to my job?

Having a high rating would be great, but not at the risk of losing my job (I'm also a bit worried about unwanted attention from the VA. They used to call me once a week or so to try and involve me in new treatments).

Work provides structure, routine and established hierarchies for me to follow; I need it right now.

Yes, I know that the DAV might not have all the info, but I want to be prepared.

Have any of you been in this situation before? Where you have a job and are still awarded 100%? Any advice?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Keep in mind that this is a DAV letter and not an official VA Notification Letter and your proposed rating may change.

are there known cases where the va changed their minds between adjudication and when they send out official letter? it hasn't happened to me.

• HadIt.com Elder

To me, the problem is the 100% for PTSD. (If this is really the case in actual fact, without regard for the VA's regs, etc.) Remember that the VA's formal award letter is not yet in the veteran's hands. The formal award letter and accompanying documents may have something useful to say.

There are two way to look at things.

Teaching is in fact somewhat of a sheltered environment. Someone who would not succeed in the "rough and tumble" environment of "normal" employment and "normal" social interactions may still be able to function well in a teaching environment.

Then there is an opposite view that has nothing to do with the functional requirements, rather it has everything to do with some of the more common PTSD symptoms.

First and foremost - - some of the symptoms include a person with PTSD induced behavior that can possibly be a danger to those in close contact with the individual.

Under this thinking, teaching might not be a good occupation. Yet, when someone is comfortable in a teaching environment, it may actually be beneficial to maintain it as long as possible. To me, it has to do with stress.

The whole mental area is one of a great deal of subjective judgment, and there are extremes from one opinion to another.

Although I never bothered to try and claim PTSD, I believe I and many other "war veterans" do have at least some relatively minor symptoms that are likely PTSD related.

(Writing this a 4AM is one of them!)

A diagnosis of PTSD would have been a death knell for any position in my field. Even the hint of counseling would have resulted in job loss.

• HadIt.com Elder

Koalabiter - I've reconsidered my previous post. I believe you can work. You obviously run the risk of being reduced somewhere down the line but who knows when or if that'll happen. As long as you haven't done anything wrong (ie: fraud) you're safe, for now. I know that most people want to work and there is only a small section of society who don't. Working is good for us! Most here would give up their disability for a decent paying job and by that I don't mean "would you like fries w/that" type job. I often feel I want to work but at 66 yo, w/a 100% PTSD rating plus other physical ailments, realize I would probably have trouble working as a greeter at WallyWorld, which only pays minimum wage. Besides if someone pi**ed me off, who knows what would happen??!!! ;-) SSDI once said I could be a cashier, at a MiniMart and they were probably right, but after about three days I know the bodies would start piling up, much like w/Michael Douglas, in "Falling Down." And there's always the fact that the VA may still change the award. jmo

pr

I have read over a post made elsewhere by the OP and if it is as posted,

he shouldn't have any problems or reduction from VBA, at least for now.

He will be scheduled for a re-exam down the road and should be OK for now.

The wording used in the official decision, if exact - does not state

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others;

OR

disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

The reason the VA gave you 100% is on them. The VA does review earnings with Social Security and may schedule you for revaluation but enjoy it while you can. For some reason the VA does not mess with 100% of VSO's it just adds to the confusion. For most here at Hadit getting 100% is to hard to jeopardize but in your situation I would go ahead and even if later your rating is reduced and after that you can't work it is much easier to get it back.

Good luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Both the VA and SSA have a return to work trial program which allows you to receive 100% compensation and work up to 12 months--I THINK.

If I were you I would check into that type of arrangement; and not make what could very well be a life changing decision without having a much information as you could possibly get.

I had to make a similar decision many years ago and as things (my medical condition) deteriorated, I was extremely thankful that I had made the right decision. Had I gone the other way--work despite a severe medical condition--I would have ended up with no work and very little (60%) income. Probably would not have survived for a whole slew of reasons.

Take your time, get fully informed, think it through; and only then decide.

Wish you the very best outcome!