Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Worried About My Rating.

Rate this question

Koalabiter

Question

Thanks for all the wisdom that you shared with me before my re-evaluation. I went in prepared, created a list and told the doctor how I really was. Fortunately, I had a great examiner who seemed very interested in what I had to say; he even gave me some advice about counseling groups to speak with. Today I received a letter from my advocate (DAV) saying that they reviewed my case and has increased my rating from 50% to 100%. I understand that this isn't the final decision, but now I'm confused and a little nervous.

I have a full-time job as a teacher. I thought that a 100% rating means that you are unable to work or hold a position that is considered "gainful employment."

Is this a fact that is going to be reviewed by the VA and taken into account? Is there any risk to my job?

Having a high rating would be great, but not at the risk of losing my job (I'm also a bit worried about unwanted attention from the VA. They used to call me once a week or so to try and involve me in new treatments).

Work provides structure, routine and established hierarchies for me to follow; I need it right now.

Yes, I know that the DAV might not have all the info, but I want to be prepared.

Have any of you been in this situation before? Where you have a job and are still awarded 100%? Any advice?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What gripes me is that a 100% mental health disability usually precludes working in official VA wording. Those with three missing limbs and damaged eye sight and hearing can work as much as they like if they can find something they can do. I think the VA will go all the way to try and rehab these physically disabled people. Now that I have lived long enough I have both mental and physical disabilites that make me unemployable in the real world.

I do know that if the VA granted me 100% twenty years ago I would have found a way to work and hold onto that money. I fought so long for decent compensation that I would never give anything back. I did have to choose between workers compensation and VA compensation but that was not hard (It took me about 30 seconds). I guess if my employer had come to me and said you have to choose between 100% and keeping a job you like I might have found a way to get knocked back to 90% and keep my job. I don't know if that is really possible. In this day and age I would not give up 100% from the VA unless I wrote a book and got a 2 million dollar advance. I earn more from my total VA disability than I earn from my federal pension and SSD combined. If I had known I would have gotten P&T 20 years earlier (I am trying to do that now) and found a way to get VA Rehabilitation to go to some kind of school for as long as possible. In a few more years pensions will be a thing of the past and many of those that come after baby boom generation will be living the way our great grandfathers lived working until they dropped dead. Even baby boomer mostly do not have enough to retire at age 65 and live without anxiety over money. To think someone can live on SSA and some small IRA is laughable.

John

John

If it turns out you can't work and receive 100% then an option could be to volunteer. There must be a lot of positions available for teachers.

vet12