VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

[/quote

Teac,

I have no info or suggestions to post for your ILP but just wanted to say congrats about it

appearing to go thru

AND

here's a link for the journey tbird is going thru to obtain a service dog :

Hope this helps a vet.

Up date....

On 16 Feb the voc rehab counselor called and requested that I send her a copy of my latest ratings, which I promply e-mailed to her.

Today she called me to ask me if I would attend an initial group orientation on 27 Mar at 11:15. I accepted the appointment and she indicated she was going to mail me a package and that I would need to fill out some forms prior to going to the orientation.

I requested the program in Jan so it seems that the va is moving a little faster than usual...

I am very excited about what may be possible. I have put togther a short list of items I sure could use..... but I really would be content if the ILP program just contained a few items. My short list is as follows.

1. Door Bell visual signal

2. Small Riding Lawn Mower (Craftsman 30”, Snapper 28”-30” or 33”, Bolen 38”)

3. Lawn sprinkler system

4. Tempur-Pedic Mattress

5. Lift Chair/recliner

6. Whole House HEPA dust collection system

7. Workshop dust collection system

8. Medic alert system connected to my security system

9. Service dog for hearing, & balance problems

I would be very happy with the hepa fiters, hearing assistance devices, and a small riding law mower, because It cost me $40.00 twice a month to have the lawn cut....

I would be extremely grateful for a service dog and think I would get out more if I had a service dog's assistance.

I am asking for these things to help make myback, hearing and breathing disabilities more bearable.

I will update the board after my orientation.

• HadIt.com Elder

You really need to have them visit you in your home. You can ask for stuff and the person who consults will write up a recommendation. I asked for remodeled bath which I got through another program but they recommended the tempurpedic bed and also a new central a/c . I got the bed but not the a/c at least so far. I don't know where I got this but it appears that they can spend up to 25,000 on each Veteran.

This program can work very well and can also be very frustrating. Good Luck I also got a low flow toilet and some grab bars for the shower.

You really need to have them visit you in your home. You can ask for stuff and the person who consults will write up a recommendation. I asked for remodeled bath which I got through another program but they recommended the tempurpedic bed and also a new central a/c . I got the bed but not the a/c at least so far. I don't know where I got this but it appears that they can spend up to 25,000 on each Veteran.

This program can work very well and can also be very frustrating. Good Luck I also got a low flow toilet and some grab bars for the shower.

Well I will need to think about it before I let them in my home.

I don't want to let them in my home because the first thing they are going to say is I need a new bathroom, and widen doors etc because I use a wheelchair. I don't want to spend the money on these Items because in a few years we plan to sell out, and build our " retirement home".

The last time I tried to get a program all kinds of things were recommended, but when it came to them providing anything I got nothing except more promises and a lot of headaches. I re-applied after reading your comments, but at this point unless they prove otherwise I really don't expect much if anything from them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I will need to think about it before I let them in my home.

I don't want to let them in my home because the first thing they are going to say is I need a new bathroom, and widen doors etc because I use a wheelchair. I don't want to spend the money on these Items because in a few years we plan to sell out, and build our " retirement home".

The last time I tried to get a program all kinds of things were recommended, but when it came to them providing anything I got nothing except more promises and a lot of headaches. I re-applied after reading your comments, but at this point unless they prove otherwise I really don't expect much if anything from them.

Than tell them what you want per your list and see what happens. Can't hurt like I said they are doing better.

I have my first voc rehab appointment in the am. I am going to have a bad night, always do when I have to deal with the va the next day... I have to attend the orientaton and watch the video before they even sit down to talk with me. I don't really know what to expect... will update you tomorrow as to how things go....