VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I received a call from Voc-Rehab yesterday, less than a week after I had sent in my VA Form 28-1900. I was informed that I forgot to sign and date it - Oooooops! While I had the Voc-Rehab guy on the phone I explain a little about my situation, and that I was interested in ILP services. He told me to add it as a remark in section 15.B So I printed out my saved copy, signed it, and was able to get it in the mail yesterday.

I received a call from Voc rehab, they scheduled a homestudy on 8 June at 1:PM.... what can I expect anyone know?

VA Playing games again. today I received an appointment slip for the Polytrama rehab center. My first thought was what the F*** is this.... then I noticed the time for the appointment.. it is the same time that I was called for a homestudy appointmet.. or so I thought.

I called the number provided, identified my self and inquired about the appointment and I was told it was to do a consult concerning what adapted equipment I needed in my home.. I said that I thought that the appointment was for a homestudy.. she kindly told me oh we don't do homestudies anymore.. .she told me to call the voc rehab counselor...

First I told voc rehab I did not not want nor need my home to be remodeled... so they are waisting time and playing games, I called the rehab counselor but she did not answer the phone...

I plan on having a serious discussion with her, and then start writing letters, first to the local news, then senators, and congress critter, and anyone else I can think of..

I am not going to let the va screw me again, I sat in Augusta georgia for about two years and all I heard were promises,and got nothing, not this time... damn va why in hell do they tell you they have a program then screw every veteran who tries to use it?

• HadIt.com Elder

Until I had the home study I got zip from ILP. The study is a visit usually by someone helpful that looks at your needs and what could help you. I felt the same way but the lady they sent was very helpful and because of her I got some good stuff.

They come with a pretty positive attitude and try to write up something you need and or want as long as it fits in their guidelines. My visit got me a real nice tempurpedic bed that I could not afford and I also got shower put in and tub taken out.

Good Luck

Until I had the home study I got zip from ILP. The study is a visit usually by someone helpful that looks at your needs and what could help you. I felt the same way but the lady they sent was very helpful and because of her I got some good stuff.

They come with a pretty positive attitude and try to write up something you need and or want as long as it fits in their guidelines. My visit got me a real nice tempurpedic bed that I could not afford and I also got shower put in and tub taken out.

Good Luck

I talked to my voc rehab counselor today, she told me that she wasn't aware that they are not coming out to the home anymore. She indicated that they used to contract out for the study, but now they have to use the va resources so that is why got the appointment at the polytrauma center. She went on to say without their input she couldn't do anything, she also said she would call me if she finds out anything new. So she has requested the appointment again. I told her I did not need or want any remodeling , I also told her I wasn't going to wit two years again and not get anything, She immediately said, she would do what she could, but that it really wasn't up to her... I really feel some cold cold steel coming my way,,, but lets wait and see...

I met with the Voc Rehab Counselor (VRC) last week, and she flat out told me that ILP would only help with items that were recommended by Occupational Therapy, and that I needed to get an appointment with my PCP to get a referral to OT. In my brief 20 minute meeting with her, she said that she determined that my conditions are 'stable' and there was really nothing ILP could do for me. So I gave her a copy of VAOPGCPREC 34-97:

In a precedent opinion, VAOPGCPREC 34-97, the VA Office of the General Counsel was presented with the question of whether 38 U.S.C.A. 3104(b) or any other statute or regulation either requires or precludes the VA from assisting a claimant in purchasing a computer and related materials for recreational activities. The opinion indicates that one of the express purposes of the Chapter 31 vocational rehabilitation program is to "provide for all services and assistance necessary to enable veterans with service-connected disabilities to achieve maximum independence in daily living . . . ." VAOPGCPREC 34-97, at 2, [citing 38 U.S.C.A. 3100]. The term "independence in daily living" means "the ability to a veteran, without the services of others or with a reduced level of the services of others, to live and function within such veteran's family and community."

Id. at 2, [citing 38 U.S.C.A. 3101(2)].

In short, the General Counsel held that the VA was not barred by law from rendering services or assistance that could be used for recreational activities. The test is whether the service may further the ability of the particular service member to become independent. VAOPGCPREC 34-97.

and she blew it off by changing the subject. I returned her attention to it, and she said that ILP doesn't furnish anything for hobbies, no lawn mowers or fishing boats like some veterans have told her. I let it rest at that. So I asked her what happens after I get the OT appointment done, and she sighed and said she would open a case for me, but she wouldn't approve anything beyond OT items even after a home visit is done. So I left, knowing that I have a battle in front of me.

Since then I have received confirmation that my ILP case is open, I have a referral in for OT (just waiting for a date), and I called the VA's Director of Vocational Rehabilitation Services office (202) 461-9600 and spoken to one of the VRCs there for clarification. I was informed that the VRC was supposed to make the referral to OT themselves, and that VAOPGCPREC 34-97 is NOT to be ignored.

So I will jump through the VRC's hoops, until I get my home visit. Then I am going going to raise Cain if recommended items are not furnished.