VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Why not take it back to them and say that this does not help.

Good Luck

I had a conversation with my counselor yesterday on the phone. She indicated that because of my back injury this is what was recommended, She said unless the OT recommends something I will not get it. This was her sly way of saying I'm not getting anything else... I told her that she needs to stop shipment on the items because I did not ask for these item, they are a waste of money and I will not use them, She said once they are ordered they are mine to do with as I want. I told her that I was going to refuse shipment of all items, and she said do what you want but the Government still has to make payment.... I told her that it was just like the government to waste money on needless things, and to refuse to spend that same money for something useful...... nothing but garbage.. and the fight goes on

Today I received some of the items the va purchased. Most of them look like cheap chinese made knock offs.. I check ebay out as well as the distributor that I received the items from for the actual value.. No way of knowing how much the va paid for this junk because they buy in bulk.On ebay the items are dirt cheap. a $185. pedal exercisor sells on ebay for $50. the other stuff sells for $20-$30. Anyway don't want to seem ungrateful but I really hate i when money is wasted on useless junk... I talked to the counselor again today and she told me if I didn't want them to put them in the trash, because the va can't return items. I am sickened by the whole process..... and I am starting to wish I had never asked for the program.

I met with the Occupational Therapist on Monday, and this morning I received a call from the ILP counselor. She stated that since the OT said that I did not need bars on my bathtub or other necessities to move around with, there was nothing that ILP could do for me. She says that she KNOWS that I have mentioned hobbies in the previous meeting, but they just don't do that per Nashville. She then told me she was closing my case.

I have called Ruth Fanning's office and am awaiting a call back. The Memphis VA ILP Voc-Rehab office seems to think that it can ignore VAOPGCPREC 34-97 completely. This may work with some veterans, but I am willing to fight the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

First they will tell you there is nothing they can do for you. Then they will drag it out. The safety bars are not even their department.

ILP gave me tempurpedic beds and coordinated remodel with HISA Grant for walk in shower. I know that ILP program can do a lot of stuff they won't admit too. I hope that you are talking to someone at a higher level.

Not only that even I can go back later for more if I can show a medical need.

The real idea of ILP is to keep a Veteran in their home and independent.

+

I have already received my termination of any action on my claim for ILP. I received the letter today. Basically it states that it was stopped because I was not interested in receiving the items that the Occupational Therapist recommended. In a hand written note it says sorry I couldn't get what you wanted. Of course the first thing she told me is she can't get anything I requested. She didn't even try.

I am going to appeal this decision all the way to the court of veteran appeals if I need to. I am so tired of lazy government employees telling me what they cannot do, instead of what they can do....

• HadIt.com Elder

Watch your deadlines you only have 30 days to appeal the ILP decision. If it were me I would ask for a hearing just to be double safe.

I don't know for sure but it is possible that your only appeal is straight to BVA. Please double check on deadlines.