VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Two Things:

Pete.. I have a PCP who is less than cooprative when it comes to getting things like prescriptions for beds, lawn mowers, lift chairs etc... and if you ask him for a script to go outside the system he is useless because although he was raised in texas and attended medical school in Texas, he doesn't have a license to Texas License to practice in Texas or anywhere else.. I am going to schedule my normal yearly meeting with him and discuss these issues with him but I fear I will be wasting my breath.

On another note;

Today I received a call from the guy who is contracted to do my Homestudy. He is coming in from Austin ( his primary office is Houston), anyway the homestudy is finally scheduled for 21 Sept at 10:00 AM... The 20th will be another sleepless night for me because when I have these kinds of appointments I just worry too much..

With that said, I really don't know what to expect.. Oh I know he is going to want to know why my doors have not been widened, or why I don't have a roll in shower.. but other than that I really don't know what to expect. I know he is going to ask about what I can and can not do... and make recommendations based on this . and he may ask what I feel I need to become more independant.. right now guessing how the evaluation goes isn't going to do me any good......

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a lady come from Austin to do the study. She could not have been nicer. I would not lose sleep over this just be prepared to answer some questions about you and your daily living situation. No reason to fret over it. For me at end I was asked what I wanted from ILP and I asked and actually the lady added a couple of things I had not thought of. Be prepared as he will probably want to look around your home and at your bathrooms and bedroom.

Good Luck you are almost done. The PCP wether foreign or not can write up that you could use different thinsg the VA actully has forms for it. Ask your Prostetics Department for a package for HISA Grant the forms are in it.

Well..... the homestudy never happened it was canceled on 20th of September and rescheduled for 19 October, and then the guy never showed up. When I contacted my counselor .. she said that they said I canceled the meetings which was nothing more than a lie.. and I have the emails to prove it.. anyway another company called me today and when I requested the homestudy be done on a Friday between 10 and 2 she told me she had too much to do and said she would tell the va to find someone else to do it.. So its been almost a year..... and still no homestudy.....

• HadIt.com Elder

Try and work it out with VA cause at this time of year they still have money as they just moved into 2013 Budget.

Good Luck

Well here it is 17 Jan 2013 and I still haven't had a home study. Yesterday, I did receive a call from the va telling me that my counselor has changed, and that the new counselor would contact me. The new counselor called today and told me she would work on getting me a home study....but I will believe it when it happends..

Just think its been a year and I haven't received anything from these people that I have asked for except a phone system that aids deaf and blind people.. and I had to sent that thing in to get fixed a month after I got it...

Basically this is the same run around I received the last time I applied for the program and I went over two years then and gave up. Even back then I wrote letter to my congress critter for assistance, and to be blunt I don't care what anyone tells you 99% of the time if the va isn't going to do something for you ... no one can help!!!! Sometimes a vet gets lucky and a congress critter is able to help but those stories are few.....

Anyway things going as I expected, just wanted to up date the situtation....

Edited by Teac