VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Ok so 1:00 meeting and 1.5 hours later and nothing but more smoke. Your right Pete , She is not a nice lady, and really cares less or she would do her job correectly.

I did learn a few things like the therapist claimed to have examined me, and indicated I could bend the at the waist and touch the floor with the palm of my hand, I could walk up a down a step stool, I could twist at the waist.. and the lies go on and on... She allowed me to write a statement indicating that he was a liar.

She indicated once again that her hands were tied to what he said I needed. I again told her, that was fine except that I did not receive a true home evaluation and therefor in my opinion what he stated is worth anything. I explained had he come to my home he would see things that trigger qustions, like why are my doors torn up? The answer: because they are not wide enough for my chair. Or; how do I get out to the back yard since there are two steps to the ground? the answer: I go around the house from the front door. She agreed that coming to the house would triger questions but again stated her hands are tied.

I told her that the items that I have received(Hepa filter system ) is indaquate, and she said that unless he recommends a wholehouse filter I am out of luck... I indicated that the combined tens/stimulation unit I received yesterday is used, and that it came without electorid patches, She is going to check into that.

All in all it was a waste of time . She did acknowledge that at one time they were encouraged to get veterans anything, but since Obama took office they have been instructed to limit items to actual independant living needs, no hobbies, beds, chairs and only items from prosthetics unless they were small items and were not carried by prosthetics,.

She indicated if my doctor wrote a statement indicating I could use a riding mower, or needed a special bed, only then would she try to get them, but indicated she stilt doubted I would get the mower.

Finally , as I was leaving she told me she is being transfered to Fort Sam to help the new wounded warrior veterans. She indicated if my program was not complete when she moves, that I will be assigned another counselor....

So even if my request for review was premature, it is done, and they will have to respond to it once she closes my case.

Bottom line San Antonio area is screwing veterans in this program... and I for one have been screwed so many times, that I am not taking it any more.. so the fight continues and if I lose a battle no problem.. its the war I plan on winning......

...All in all it was a waste of time . She did acknowledge that at one time they were encouraged to get veterans anything, but since Obama took office they have been instructed to limit items to actual independant living needs, no hobbies, beds, chairs and only items from prosthetics unless they were small items and were not carried by prosthetics,..

Interesting, since I am running into the same thing through my VRC at the Memphis Voc-Rehab ILP. I had to fight for in-home assessment coming up on July 5th, as the VRC was trying to close my case without one. I am in the process of writing down the barriers that 'need' to be address to help me live more independently - after all, isn't that what the program is for?

• HadIt.com Elder

I have racked my brain and now I remember that the song changed when I asked for and never got a complete copy of all my Voc records. They keep their own. I was asked why and said I wanted to show them to my lawyer.

I have racked my brain and now I remember that the song changed when I asked for and never got a complete copy of all my Voc records. They keep their own. I was asked why and said I wanted to show them to my lawyer.

Very good, I am on great terms with my lawyer - I am anticipating problems after I get my in-home assessment done.

Looks like I just won a battle.. I was contacted today by my counselor who idicated that a company called CJ Turner Incorp, based in Houston has a contract with the VA to do Home studies.

ironically, they have had a contract since 2010 according to the companies web page. It is apparent to me that the va just didn't want to spend the money for a homestudy if they could get away with not doing it...

I was informed that the company will call me and set up a date to do the homestudy.....so time will tell....

CJ Turner is a minority owed disabled veteran owned company. The owner is a medically retired from service with 10 years of actived duty who went on to get a masters degree and open his own company. I hope that they are on the up and up and not just the va's advocate but really helps the veeteran....