VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck at least they know a little more than VA does of what we go through. I suspect that someone higher up the food chain intervened for you.

Its been two weeks I still have not been contacted to do the home study.

• HadIt.com Elder

Call and ask what is up. You might also consider calling your VARO and asking for Voc Rehab I have had much better success in Waco than in Dallas

I was told to wait on the call, that like every where else they have a backlog too... so again I wait and see

Oh I just received a new phone system due to my hearing loss...

made by Clearsound....the AT 1600 $299.00

It is a great phone.. I can actually adjust the volume to meet my needs, even when I am listening... has a lot of other neat features, but the volume is the best......

Fellow Veterans,

I am really disturbed by the way you are being treated by these VR&E Counselors. I will help as much as I can but I have to do some foraging around to find my files.

Search for ILP Plan Forms, VA IL forms, or at least ask your Counselors, tomorrow "what are the forms used to develop an ILP"?

There are specific forms that they are supposed to use to identify the Veterans "NEEDS" and after they have identified the Veterans needs in areas like

Daily Living Activities, Avocational, Community, Safety, and advanced technology.

Once the needs are identified then the counselor has to recommend products or services to obtain for the Veteran and then track the Veterans improvement or progress over a 2 year period. The 2 year period can now be extendeed for as long as necessary for GWOT OIF/OEF Veterans (Sorry for all other ERA's, I didn't make the rules).

If your counselors have not attempted to identify your needs and develop an ILP you need to contact your Congressman/woman's or your Senator's Office ASAP, and send a letter to the VR&E Department Head at your local VA and explain what you are trying to do. Don't ask for specific products and please don't ask for any lawnmowers, at least not until you are engaged in a development plan and the counselor has surrendered.

I will try to find my files tomorrow and send you the info for the forms.

It took me almost 18 months from the time I was told by the Counselor with 25 years of VR&E experience that the VR&E did not administer the ILP Program and he had never heard of it, EVER.

Went through another 2 counselors and the Senator's office for a long time. I was ignored, told the program didn't exist, that I needed to have the medical side provide the items I needed (which some of them they did), I was told the VA did not purchase any items for ILP Veterans, I was told they were cutting spending and ILP was being budgeted (BULLSHIT), and then I was ignored again, told I didn't have any NEEDS that had not been fullfilled, ignored again, and then finally with the help of a Senator's Aid, multiple letters to Ms. Ruth Fanning describing the incompetence and lies, I began receiving products.

Some of the better equipment was a Laptop with wireless router and printer, a security system (ADT) with 2 years of monitering, Canon EOS Rebel Camera with telephoto lens, several small cooking appliances, a juicer, some recreational equipment, an ergonomic zero-gravity chair and some lightweight cleaning products.

There are more but I have ADD from all the morphine.

What I had to do was develop a plan on my own. I sat down and identified the NEEDS I had caused by the service connected disabilities and then how those needs could be addressed. I then submitted my plan with the areas I mentioned above and requested products and services that would help me overcome them.

You are going to have to write letters over and over again, but you have to understand how the VA VR&E is supposed to administer the program. I WILL COME BACK TOMORROW WITH MORE INFORMATION INCLUDING CFR #'S AND GUIDELINES.

Apologize for not having it right now but my meds are kicking in and I gotta go to bed. This is not going to be easy and for some of you even all the information in the world might not help and you will have to plan your own strategies how to get these SOB'S to do their job. They are supposed to be counseling you and poviding you assistance not feeding you a line of bull and dismissing you as quickly as they can.