Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Psychiatric Diagnoses Being Twisted To Force Soldiers Out?

Rate this question

mysticcherokee usn vet

Question

Stigma seen in military finding TROOPS: Are psychiatric diagnoses being twisted to force soldiers out?

This is an interesting article, and I thought others might want to read it, from Sarasota Herald Tribune.Its about trumped up dx's to discharge those found wanting/lacking/unfit either due to and injury, or whatever might make them to later want to file a claim.

Oh well, just read if youve a notion, the article tells all, enjoy! Hugs, Mystic

http://www.heraldtri...e-soldiers-out-

Heres an edit adding the new york times rendition of same article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/us/a-military-diagnosis-personality-disorder-is-challenged.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

Edited by mysticcherokee usn vet

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Their whole purpose is to "screw the vet" and I don't say this lightly. They've been doing it since at least WWII and will continue, as long as they can get away w/it. Can you imagine how many WWII vets have gotten screwed, w/a personality disorder (PD), at discharge!!! Sorry, don't want to get something started here!! jmo

pr

It seems based on all this evidence that a lot of the discharges and character of service could be changed.

Edited by #1Cavtrooper

Why arrive at the grave relatively unscaithed, rather than to skid in sideways yelling "Holy Crap! What a Ride!"

• HadIt.com Elder

I had my "unsuitability" 635-212 discharge upgraded. I appealed the discharge very soon after discharge. It cost the VA or DOD nothing. If you are asking them to change a non-medical discharge to a medical discharge or medical retirement the military is going to fight this because it will cost them money. At my review board there were civilians present. If it had been all military I would have been sunk. I had spent 2 months in a military hospital and yet they still kicked me out with nothing because I pissed them off. They told me they were going to get me and they did according to their warped values.