VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Psychiatric Diagnoses Being Twisted To Force Soldiers Out?

Rate this question

mysticcherokee usn vet

Question

Stigma seen in military finding TROOPS: Are psychiatric diagnoses being twisted to force soldiers out?

This is an interesting article, and I thought others might want to read it, from Sarasota Herald Tribune.Its about trumped up dx's to discharge those found wanting/lacking/unfit either due to and injury, or whatever might make them to later want to file a claim.

Oh well, just read if youve a notion, the article tells all, enjoy! Hugs, Mystic

http://www.heraldtri...e-soldiers-out-

Heres an edit adding the new york times rendition of same article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/us/a-military-diagnosis-personality-disorder-is-challenged.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

Edited by mysticcherokee usn vet

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It iis true, the military has a long history of discharging veterans for personality disorders rather than giving them an Axis I diagnosis that is service connecatble. But, the good and possibly the bad thing for others about C & P exams is just because one is diagnosed with a personiality disorder in service, the VA examiner is not held to that diagnosis and if they diagnosis PTSD or a service connectable mental condition, a veteran can get SC. On the other hand, if one is diagnosed with PTSD in service and the VA examiner diagnosis a personality disorder and doesnt confirm the PTSD diagnosis the veteran will not be entitled to SC, but may be entitled to chapter 1702 or medical benefits.

If one is diagnosed with PTSD in the service, but the VA examiner contradicts that diagnosis with a P/D, you need to APPEAL. The VA can not refute a diagnosis that conformed to the DSMIV without a damn good reason. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

jmho...A strong IMO is needed to overcome the contaminated record.

The reluctance of VA examiners to correctly diagnose PTSD vets with pre 1980 psychiatric diagnoses is in part because the examiners seem to continously parrot the prior examiner's findings, rather than make an independent assesment to determine a diagnosis of PTSD.

Here is another example.

Intentional Misdiagnosis by Treating Physicians

https://www.ptsdforu...ki/misdiagnosis

CB

Edited by Commander Bob

I have tried not to respond to this subject since I know or understand very little about PTSD. However, PTSD is not the only medical issues the services lowball. When I was forced into medical retirement in 1986, the Army awarded me 10% for my lungs. Less than a year letter I was awarded 30%, from the VA for the same lung problem luckly I still had over 30% to retire. When a veteran is low-balled and receives less than 20% disability from a service branch they also lose retirement which requires 30%. Because of this Congress created new laws to make sure veterans received earned medical retirements. Veterans now have the ability to request a relook at their disability discharge and a chance to get it changed to a retirement. I can't be more specific than this. But check out the following link.

http://www.health.mil/About_MHS/Organizations/MHS_Offices_and_Programs/PDBR.aspx

Edited by Teac