Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Received Opened

Rate this question

rodin57

Question

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. I finally received a copy of my C-File today at my PO Box. It was sent from the Phoenix RO and the box it was mailed in had the end open. (See photo) There was no Postal notice addressing the opened mail. Of course, I will file a complaint with the Post Office tomorrow. The C-File contains many of my VA Medical Records, which I am sure have been compromised. I am sharing this for two reasons- 1. So the members will be aware this type of problem exists, and 2- To determine if there are any further actions I should take (such as VA IG Complaint?).

post-11906-0-63688100-1330573423_thumb.j

Edited by rodin57

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Your issue is with the Postal people. When, I got my C-file, I had other Veteran's records mixed with my records, and most likely mine were mixed up with someone else. But, what can you do about it. Nothing.

Papa

Wow accused of mis-reading someones comments.

My question still stands. How is this situation worthy of a VA Inspector General Report?

The Federal principle of Administrative Regularity already provides the government with a legal presumption that the package was sealed by the VA at the time it was mailed. Unless you have some type of proof that that package was shipped intentionally open your consideration of a IG complaint is ludicrous!

Clearly if this was delivered open the post office was obligated to either refuse the package or notify you that it was open. Your demand for an explanation from the US postal service is reasonable and should be complied with immediately.

Considering a VA inspector General inquiry for this type of situation is what overloads the system so that real IG problems can't be worked. Shredding files ect.

The advice on checking for Identity theft is spot on.

My opinion on this matter only changes if the plastic strip that covers the adheasive that is to be removed before sealing the box has not been removed.

Lastley, Yes I have encountered the proplem with open mail, mis delivered mail, mail that sat at the post office for over a month before they sent it out for delivery because the had a note to send it back after 30 days.

Best regards,

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck with your c-file snafu and your claim,'rodin57'.

I have been waiting almost 3 months for mine.

How long did it take for you to receive your c-file after you requested it?

CB

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

Commander Bob wrote: How long did it take for you to receive your c-file after you requested it?

I mailed my request on November 1, 2011. I received my C-File on February 29, 2012. I see that my time-lag was nearly 4 months.

71M10 wrote: Wow accused of mis-reading someones comments. My question still stands. How is this situation worthy of a VA Inspector General Report?

Here we go. Show me where ANY of my previous comments state anything about a "VA Inspector General Report".

First you are mis-reading my post, then you are adding words to my post that I NEVER used.

Go post your BS on some other thread.

Respectfully, Rodin57!

You are correct, you never said report.

However, any IG complaint that is filled will necessitate a report.

You never said you were filling an IG Complaint.

I never said you filled an IG complaint, I asked:

I am curious as to why you think it is appropriate to file a VA IG complaint?

It sure sounds like the complaint should lie with the Postal IG, especially since the problem is open mail. Since you received a box and it indicated it was from the VA, I would be suspicious that somone poped it open looking for meds. How many stories have we seen about postal employees bosting meds from vets and selling them? I can recall three convictions right off the top of my head.

Best regards,

I never accused you of filling a complaint, I simply asked why you think it is appropriate to file an IG complaint.?

Your original message clearly indicated you were considering a VA IG complaint. I misread nothing, you chose to nit-pick on little details and refuse to own up to the intent and purpose of your words collectively.

I will try to keep my BS off of any of your threads in the future. I sure hope you don't have a question or problem that I have the answer to (I know, it is remote that I could actually provide any usable information). I hope others are very careful to only wisper in your ear the answers that you actually want to hear.

Regards,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• RICHKAY earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • pacmanx1 earned a badge
      Great Content
    • czqiang1079 earned a badge
      First Post
    • Vicdamon12 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Panther8151 earned a badge
      One Year In
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use