Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Kadena Afb Okinawa

Rate this question

clynch726

Question

I am looking for anyone who was on Kadena AFB, Okinawa or .Chanute AFB, IL. My dad was there from Oct. 68-April 70. He has ichemic heart disease, diabetes which has resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee and peripheral neuropathy. We were denied in 2002 AMVETS filed a claim on his behalf for heart condition, diabetes and back problems. I refiled in December 2011 and have just received the claim statements and medical release forms. I am familiar with filling out this paper work because my husband is a combat veteran of Iraqi Freedom. I have been reading articles from the Japan times and I am a member of the Agent Orange Okinawa facebook page. Another thing that helps make my dad's case is that he was on Chanute AFB, IL and it is on the EPA Superfund list and has PCBs/Pesticides and Dioxins/Furans listed as ground and water contaminants. I welcome any advice, tips or articles that I may have missed in my own research.

I have a subsequent pdf he was part of:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a062143.pdf      263 Pags , the main author being Alvin Young- whose work many of us were familiar with in the 1990s. and more recently.

I have not been able to open the download you posted yet.

"on page 70-73 of the A129254 Nov 29, 1979 Veterinary claims  gives his opinion and AF credentials "

The very first Thailand AO vet (I know him well and he has retired from claims advocacy) former hadit member Kurt Priessman)

was a security guard dog handler in Thailand and noticed,with alarm, how many of the dogs walking the base perimeter with him, would suddenly become ill and die.Years after his service he developed AO disabilities -that VA denied , yet he aggressivel y researched the issue and he is directly responsible for  the VA's Thailand AO regulations, that have helped MANY Thailand vets gain their proper compensation.

You need to do what he did:

Prove the base had AO on it, (this could come from inquiries to their acquisition office)

Prove his MOS had  put him into direct contact with it, 

( his SMRs and specifically his Mlitary personnel file might help)

Prove his type of cancer is an AO presumptive ( I assume you have already determined that via the AO Presumptive list.

It might help if you find his Unit's web site-and a unit history.

VA does not hold to the past theories published long ago on AO.

There is more recent info on Chanute:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2013-08-31/officials-dispute-claim-agent-orange-chanute.html

and other info if you put Chanute Agent Orange into the google search feature.

Edited by Berta

Capone you mentioned help with acronyms:

https://www.hadit.com/va-claims-glossary-definitions-abbreviations-terms/

I did use MOS above ( which my USAF veteran daughter always corrects me on) -I meant what was his inservice duty designation.

DIC -Dependency Indemnity Compensation-

I do not see how it would apply to your issue, as your mother is deceased.

I  am an Agent Orange widow.

DIC applies to any survivor ( spouse and/ or children under 18) whose veteran spouse ( or parent) died directly due to service.(there are other reasons as well, available here under a search.

Agent Orange is different- Nehmer 2010 grants retroactive benefits to the Next of kin-- if there is no survivivg spouse, in some cases, not all. We have a wealth of info here on that.

CONUS Continental United States.

I am unsure what type of monetary benefit you would be eligible for, even with a finding of AO death.

Widows like me were eligible for accrued benefits,under provisions of Footnote One Nehmer.2010.

If VA had denied an AO claim in the past for your father, can you scan and post here the denial and evidence list?

Cover the C file #, name, address prior to scanning it.

Many of us here are hard core claimants- meaning we had to research and find evidence ourselves that would support our claims.

In your case research seems to be the only answer and you seem willing to do it.

Use FOIA if you have to- FOIA brought me some seredenpidious evidence for one of my claims, as well as helped win the first ADA discrimination case here in NY for my husband.

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and DOD , Branches of Mil etc. etc might well have their own FOIA template on line at their main site.

Edited by Berta

Greeting s Ms.Berta,

Thank you, my father did not have a file for AO, it was for other claims. Truthfully, I do not think I will be successful in any monetary claim and that's why I uploaded the documents I came across online in hopes someone else may benefit by there use with their claims. I did submit a AF FOIA request in regards to my fathers AF Specialty and its function at chanute AFB. Thank you enjoy your day,     

rkitch, your post was under the 3rd page-I added it  here to the 4th page-

Some Okinawa vets have succeeded in getting SC due to AO.

https://www.stripes.com/news/2-vets-win-agent-orange-exposure-cases-from-okinawa-1.457227

• E-2 Recruit
  •  
  • New User Review
  • 1 post

"I was on Okinawa with the 4252nd on Kadena in 1969 for a 6 month TDY with the 7th Bomb Wing out of FT Worth, Texas."

•  

Clynch726  

I am working on my husbands claim for TDIU and came accross you asking for anyone who was at Kadena in Okinawa. My husband (now deceased. Killed by VA negligence) was both in VietNam (Blue water, on ship) AND in Kadena some time between 69 - 71. He had both DMII,  IHD and PN.  I am currently trying to get his claims through from before he had passed. If you have gotten any evidence towards Kadena, It would also be helpful to me..  Side Note: he was also in the proper time frame for Camp LeJeun contamination.  I hope you are making progress!! I am very aware of the pain and  how life altering these situations are and all  that these veterans go through. He is EXTREMELY lucky to have you helping him,, I pray for the ones that don't have anyone.. as a VSO is usually pointless. I thank him for his service... AND if the VA doesn't stop denying what is "DUE" these Vets, they will be "Hardpressed" to get anyone in the future to want to join!! God help us all!