Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Insurance After New Rating

Rate this topic

For a "new" disabled Vet (within 2 years) this is a no brainer: Get the insurance, at least the first 10,000 worth.

Reasons:

The insurance is whole life, not term, that builds up cash value. What this means:

You can get the insurance, and your premiums will be paid (for the first 10k of a disabled Vet whose waiver of premiums is approved). If you die, your family gets 10,000. If you live, and you need money, you can "cash in" the life insurance policy, or, better yet, "borrow" on your policy.

Bottom line. The 20 pay life will have a cash value of 10,000 in 20 years. This means you can apply for the insurance, and, if you live 20 years, you would have $10,000 in a "bank account" (the insurance policy) that you can collect, if you see fit to do just that.

You are throwing money away not getting your 10,000 life insurance if you have a new disability (and you are eligible for waiver of premiums)

relpats,

If a vet is SC'd at total P&T or 100 percent P&T

they can get the first 10K of the life insurance, with waiver of any premiums.

I think it needs to be said that unless you are TDIU, you have to pay any premiums for any policy you get, even the first $10K.

Unless someone knows something I don't.

Edited by Inthewind

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are under 50 years old and have a disability that won't kill you eventually you can often get very cheap term life via Select Quote. When I was 50 I got $250,000 worth for about $700 a year and I was 30% at the time for mental. Now if you have had a heart attack you won't be able to get that rate most likely. The idea of life insurance is to replace your potential earnings if you die early. It is not to just bury you. I got the 10,000 from the VA because it is a gift. It is actually better to save the premiums rather than give them to some insurance company. You are betting you are going to die and they are betting you won't. I don't like that bet if you are under 70 years old.

I think it needs to be said that unless you are TDIU, you have to pay any premiums for any policy you get, even the first $10K.

Well, I guess I take that back. The information I received on the phone was just contradicted by a letter I received telling me that my premiums are waived. Weird.

So, now I'm wondering if I can get the additional $20K?

Edited by Inthewind

• Lead Moderator

Sollnvictus

Thank you for making my day with your compliments.

In the wind:

The VA pays for premiums (when approved for "waiver of premium") ONLY on the first 10,000 of life insurance. You can get the supplemental SDVI BUT you have to pay those premiums. You also will likely need to be within 2 years of getting a "new" disability to get the SVDI.

The VA has different criteria for TDIU than life insurance does for waiver of premiums.

John...

Often disabled Veterans can not get private life insurance. Yes you can apply but when you tell them you are disabled, it is highly likely they will decline to insure you. That is the prime reason for VA life insurance. There are some "high risk" life insurance companies who insure anyone, BUT those policies are expensive AND they often have a limited benefit for the first 2 years. In other words, if you were on your death bed and got that "non qualify" no health questions insurance, it would be in force, but the benefit amount for the first two years would be to return the premiums paid and no more.

No you don't have to have IU status for the waiver of the first 10K -

you need the status of 100 percent P& T or TDIU P&T.

Permanent and Total is the key - I believe.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use