VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dh's Big Brown Envelope Came.... I Don't Know What To Think.

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

He's at work. I called & told him it came - he said open it, but he has a meeting so he'll call me back to hear what it says.

They gave him 100% for PTSD as a new rating. He's working, and has been all along. He's a civil engineer, and admittedly, they've been giving him less and less responsibility over the past couple years. He's got the most seniority and experience, so he's kind of the grey-beard who points out problems waiting to happen, and answers the questions of the young'ns when they get stuck.

He likes his job. He gets into it with people, but he's working hard on not getting into conflicts.

Ack, I'm babbling.

Will he have to stop working because of this rating? All his VA doctors, shrinks, therapists, all know that he's employed. He told the psychologist who did his rating exam that he is currently employed.

He'll be heartbroken if he has to quit or retire. His job is his identity. He'll be crushed if this means he's "too broken" to be DH the engineer.

:(

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

He can always volunteer. There has to be life outside of his job, and frankly, he got what most people spend YEARS fighting for. I'm thankful he received a fair decision. He can volunteer, take up a hobby, or maybe just consult at his company? probono? Not sure if they would allow that, but it would keep him "in the game" so to speak. Congratulations, and let us know how it pans out.

hedgey whoa! As stated before this is a blessing that most are working to get, I know, I just got mines Saturday, there has been good suggestions here. Maybe he can adjust to one, I started to play the keyboard, from scratch, my way of staying inside.

Anyway, is about the opurtunity that he sees next, always pushing for life in the now, Now is the only time we have. Congrats to him. Dan

• HadIt.com Elder

Provided he's never hidden or lied about his employment, I would let him work, if he wants, and if they rescind or reduce the decision, so be it. Sounds to me that either he can work, w/a 100% PTSD rating or they screwed up. You should prepare for a reduction, just in case it happens. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats to you and your DH.........IMO, I don't think you should worry about the rating, the VA has all the information on his job and with that, the only thing that they really could do is cue themselves down the road, but that would have no effect on the monies paid on the 100% up till the time they may or may not find error. If your hubby enjoys the job then his treating Va peeps know this and let it be as is.

Enjoy this hard fought battle, you both deserve it.

I don't know if it's related, but my DH is in bed with a fever of 103, he started coughing last night. Our private doc has him on antibiotics & strong cough meds, so he is out for the time being. At least he's not coughing. I know it must be a coincidence, but he's suddenly one sick puppy.

I'll come back with what's in his decision letter later. Making chicken soup with extra onions & lots of garlic... grandma's heal-all recipe!

Thanks, everybody, for all your support :)