Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing A Claim With Social Security

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

SInce I have so many, many medical problems that are mostly VA ratings, I am wondering about filing a claim with SS. Since the latest are sleep apnea, not connected yet, as well as NP and carpel tunnel along with the cardio rating that gave me a 60% rating just alone, what are my chances of getting a medical disability with SS? I know I certainly shouldn't be working as I try to leave early every day from the issues from my prostate(every hour bathroom during day, and 1/1/2 at night along with drowsiness from sleep apnea even though I use the cpac machine.

And if I apply, should I just use all the medical reports from my doctors to support the claim. I keep hearing it is easier to get this from ss once you are over 50, then getting a claim approved from the Va.

I appreciate any input. This is looking like my next major goal as I certainly can't complete an 8 hr shift at work anymore.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

SInce I have so many, many medical problems that are mostly VA ratings, I am wondering about filing a claim with SS.

CB,

Check your PM's.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

It usually comes down to can you work. SS is fairly picky and it really looks at can you work at any job for a year. I don't think it really should be up to you to decide if you have the right diagnosis just that you are not working and that remember if you wait to long you will loose it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Get documentation of your issues at work and statements from boss/co-workers if you can.

Realize that SSDI is that you can't peform full time work of ANY kind for at least a year, so that's how they'll evaluate you.

Great info from member Fanaticbooks here: http://www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com/ssd.html

Edited by Notorious Kelly

since you are over 50 you do have a slightly better chance BUT it still will boil down to "can you work?"

WHen I applied I looked up the grid information on a SS site and that helped me a lot on deciding wether to file or not by seeing where I fell. Go to the SS site and search for the grid I am pretty sure it is there where I found it. Or do a google search for SS grid,

Edited by stillhere

Does this mean because I am still working now(even though I have to take time off for my medical conditions) I won't get approved for SS-medical?