Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter Dav National Service Office

Rate this question

kris

Question

I wish I new about this site 2 years ago. I have been very much on my own trying to gather records, etc, without any guidence. I apealed a decision about 4 months ago and finally got a CP exam.

I recieved a letter from the DAV, National Service Office stating:

This letter is not intended to serve as your official notification from the Department of Veterans Affairs(VA). You will receive an official decision from the VA upon completion of neccessary administrative procedures. etc etc.

Further down the letter it states, The Disabled American Veterans(DAV) has reviewed the most recent VA decision concerning you claim for benefits. We are pleased to inform you that a combined evaluation of __% has been assigned as a result of the followin action.

Service connection for panic attacks and major depression(claimed as post traumatic stress disorder) is granted with an evaluation of __% effective on such and such date.

Then they sent me paper work to fill out.

Where I am confused is my Dav officer said I would recieve a letter in about a week, it has been almost 4 weeks. He also said that the DAV letter really does not mean anything because the VA still has to go through a process and rate me. My first question is why did the DAV even bother sending me the letter if it really does not mean anything. My second question is It looks like I was turned down for PTSD.

So I guess what I am asking is what is the next step, my DAV officer said the VA could turn me down on my claim again.

Could someone please explain how all of this works.

Thank you for any information and GOD BLESS you for all of your hard work and helping Vets like me.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

This letter is not intended to serve as your official notification from the Department of Veterans Affairs(VA). You will receive an official decision from the VA upon completion of neccessary administrative procedures. etc etc.

I believe all letters from the DAV make that statement. The DAV is giving you a heads up on your claim status. You have to receive a formal letter from the VA to make it firm.

Service connection for panic attacks and major depression(claimed as post traumatic stress disorder) is granted with an evaluation of __% effective on such and such date.

From this statement it appears that the VA does not feel that your claim warrants PTSD, but has granted you SC for panic attacks and major depression. Do you have a Combat MOS or Stressor?

Where I am confused is my Dav officer said I would recieve a letter in about a week, it has been almost 4 weeks.

This is the VA things never happen fast or on time.

If you feel the decision they made was in error file a NOD.

Good Luck.

Edited by foreveryoung

"Then they sent me paper work to fill out"

Kris- what kind of paperwork- about your dependents etc- or was it a TDIU form 21-8940.

If your service connected disabilities prevent you from attaining and retaining substantial employment, the VA should award you TDIU at the 100% rate.

Sounds easy but it often isn't- yet any SC meds that hinder your ability to work, your SSA annual wage statement, any turn downs from VA for Voc Rehab- these are things- if you are unemployed (dont know if you are) and certainly any SSA disability award letters, that they have to take into consideration for TDIU.

If you are employed- they wont consider you for TDIU.

It does not matter what % they are giving you when they send the award letter-you can NOD it and attach a TDIU form if the above TDIU criteria applies to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can get 100% for depression and panic attacks just as easily as for PTSD, if not more easily. The only thing that matters is your rating percentage.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its my opinion that getting a rating for PTSD for Veterans who are not combat rated is almost impossible. Yes we have Veterans on this board who have done it. I suggest that you ask them how they did it.

If you have panic attacks and depression all you need is proof it started in service, a nexus and a diagnosis. Sounds easy but it took me 5 years to do mine all the way.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris,

"Where I am confused is my Dav officer said I would recieve a letter in about a week, it has been almost 4 weeks"

If your retro award is over $25,000.00, then your award requires a third signature. Generally, this is aquired through the Veterans Center Service Manager or their assistant. This process can take a bit longer than a normal rating decision.

"He also said that the DAV letter really does not mean anything because the VA still has to go through a process and rate me. My first question is why did the DAV even bother sending me the letter if it really does not mean anything"

Foreveryoung is correct, the VA gives your rep a heads-up on the rating, but keep in mind, the decision is not official until you have the actual letter from VA. In rare circumstances the rating can be pulled during the authorization process due to a CUE error or a blatent mistake was found in the original rating, in which the rating is then re-worked. However, as I said, this doesn't happen that often, but sometimes can, and that is why it isn't official until you receive notice from VA.

"My second question is It looks like I was turned down for PTSD"

All mental disabilities are rated under the same criteria. So whether you are rated for PTSD or panic disorder, it's actually a moot point.

"So I guess what I am asking is what is the next step, my DAV officer said the VA could turn me down on my claim again"

Your next step is try to relax, it shouldn't be that much longer. Like I said before, from time to time VA has pulled a rating decision while going through "Authorization," but generally when that happens, it's because there was an error in the effective date, or if there was a blatent error found. The Job of the "Authorizer" is not to try to change the RVSR's decision, but to check to make sure the amount of retro is correct, or to see if any dependents have been claimed ect... Once you have been awarded Service-connection, it's a done deal, unless there is evidence of fraud found in the claim.

I hope this helps!

Vike 17