Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Buried In Cardboard Box

tmoe

Florida cemetery buries veteran in a cardboard box

7 hrs ago

Members of Congress are fuming at the discovery of a WWII veteran who was buried in a cardboard box at Florida National Cemetery in 2004. Sadly, Lawrence Davis Jr. had no loved ones to see him off, so Veteran Affairs buried his remains in the same container they arrived in from the medical examiner. Though the cemetery duly holds a special service four times a year for veterans who are buried without family present, the circumstances bring up the question of what exactly constitutes a "dignified burial." Meanwhile, Florida's senators are supporting "The Dignified Burial of Veterans Act of 2012," which would, in part, authorize the Department of Veterans Affairs to purchase caskets or urns for veterans when necessary.

This cant be happening http://now.msn.com/l...dboard-box.aspx

Edited by tmoe

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Does it really matter what you are buried in? I plan to use the 799 cremation and for my friends and relatives to have a memorial party to send me off. I told my wife ok for her to have my remains made into a diamond than when she passes we will stay together.

ashestodiamonds.com

Edited by Pete53

hell yea it matters give, me proper burial not to me but to my family if not burn my remains but it better not be a cardboard box and if you feel like that is your choice so be it not me. I hate this kind of stuff happening to vet that have serve this country honorable, gave there life to defend the USA AND TO GET BURIED IN A CARDBOARD BOX only in America!!

• HadIt.com Elder

In Florida I am pretty sure you have to go into a metal container anyway. The water level is so high bodies would be floating to the surface. I don't think they can just put you in a pine box and lay you in the sod. You get a nice metal overcoat.

John

In Florida I am pretty sure you have to go into a metal container anyway. The water level is so high bodies would be floating to the surface. I don't think they can just put you in a pine box and lay you in the sod. You get a nice metal overcoat.

John

John, as Pete53 statement at the bottom of his reply (The VA shows no mercy ). LORD HAVE MERCY!! what will they do next to the poor older Vet's and maybe us too, when the time come to meet the maker....ohmy.png

• HadIt.com Elder

And you never heard of paper coffins? They do exist, and are often used for cremation. The coffin typically looks like a standard coffin. they are/were used in Florida.

Not to long ago, when cremation was involved, metal coffins were used for the funeral process, and the body was removed for cremation. The metal coffin was then "refurbished" and re used. The price of the "paper" coffin was slightly lower than a refurbished one. (And much less of a hassle for everyone concerned.) A "Fancy" cardboard box can also be used for cremated remains.