VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice On What To Do Just Got 90% Rating.

Rate this question

mnjarhead

Question

Hi Everybody, this is my first post here, but a long time reader. I need advice on what to do now that I just received an increase to 90%. Basically my ratings are as follows 50 ptsd, 50 migraines, 20 for chronic diahrea, gerd, gastritis, ulcers, 20 chronic back strain, 10 tinnitus, 10 flat feet, 0 deviated septum I am going to appeal 20 that I recently received for gastro probs and increase that was denied for deviated septum, been rated since 2003. I want to file for TDIU or try to get 100 PT, but I have a job working in a Federal Prison as a Officer for 10 years that I can barely take anymore with med mix, so I would file for FERS disability too. I cant afford to quit my job and basically gamble on TDIU and FERS should I retain a attorney, my cvso's are urging me to work, or go back to school because I am 35. I just want to be left alone and focus on my family, its been along road. Advice?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I would try and go back to some school at your age. You can do vocational rehab and maybe get some kind of skill where you can set your own hours and be your own boss. You can always file for IU. You can get OPM disability and maybe get schooling. I got OPM easy, but it took over a year to get TDIU. I was 52 years old, so my job future was bleak.

John

If I opted to take opm disability what avenue would I claim? Migraines, PTSD, Back or is it a combinations, because all these things impact my ability to do my job mentally and physically. My work environment aggravates my conditions, my meds only slightly help, and I have used my sick leave for service conditions. Alot of times employer federal government is questioning my use and trying to write up other disabled vets for our va appts, and sick leave, conditions docs have stated stay home take your meds, but you have to go pay co pay at imo for a sick note. Crap, sick of IT!

• HadIt.com Elder

If I opted to take opm disability what avenue would I claim? Migraines, PTSD, Back or is it a combinations, because all these things impact my ability to do my job mentally and physically. My work environment aggravates my conditions, my meds only slightly help, and I have used my sick leave for service conditions. Alot of times employer federal government is questioning my use and trying to write up other disabled vets for our va appts, and sick leave, conditions docs have stated stay home take your meds, but you have to go pay co pay at imo for a sick note. Crap, sick of IT!

Claim all of it.......for OPM you only need to show you can not do the job you were hired for, nothing else. With the SSDI and the VA , you need to prove you can not work period.

Hang in there. Im a fers employee in the LE world as well.

I fear I too will go through this same ordeal.

My advice is hey....you won! Youve got a likely gs8 fleo posistion plus an adittional 2k a month tax free from the VA. Youve delt with this for ten years and have been under lots of stress lately waiting to see what would happen with your claim. many say still being able to work plus 90% disability is nearly the best it gets.

Congrats and hang in there.

I know I shouldnt complain, because lots are fighting for the same thing that dont have a job. But I dont like seeing the VA lowball deserving VETS all the time if you deserve 60 you get 60 not 10, so you have to wait 3 years for appeal. My thing is I hate working in a Prison, I would rather help VETS or do something constructive.

I know I shouldnt complain, because lots are fighting for the same thing that dont have a job. But I dont like seeing the VA lowball deserving VETS all the time if you deserve 60 you get 60 not 10, so you have to wait 3 years for appeal. My thing is I hate working in a Prison, I would rather help VETS or do something constructive.

Helping Vets, or doing something else you might enjoy doing, might be something you want to work toward.

As for now, I would encourage you to take your time and let everything settle in. I know it is tough - but hang in there if you can - and give yourself some time to make sure you are making the right decision for you and your family.

I remembered when I was newly widowed - a good piece of advice I read was to try to make any major life-changing decisions that you do not have to make for at least one year. That helps keep people from making decisions that they later regret they have made.

By all means, think about it, gather information, etc. - but your best decision at the moment might be to delay making any irrevocable decisions regarding stopping working until you know for certain that the decision is right (or until it becomes the only decision you can make).