Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Glaucoma Secondary To Dmii

Rate this question

john999

Question

Husband just received a decision granting glaucoma as secondary to his DMII, noncompensable. It says VA exam clarification is needed to fully evaluate this condition. Upon receipt of this evidence this evaluation will be reconsidered. A noncompensable evaluation is assigned unless there is a significant impairment of vision. He had a C&P eye exam. He's been seeing a private opthalmologist for his glaucoma and must use drops everyday to control it. He doesn't have significant vision loss so far. We read in the schedule of ratings for 6013 Open-Angle glaucoma that the minimum evaluation if continuous medication required is 10%. Does anyone know about this?

He was granted an SMC K award for ED secondary to diabetes, so that's good. They ignored a request for increase in DMII rating and hypertension secondary to DMII. We sent a letter asking them to reconsider these. They scheduled a C&P exam for TDIU. He has 20% DMII and !0% PN in each leg now. He takes insulin several times a day, episodes of low blood sugar, has a lot of problems with his legs and feet, fatigue, etc.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Phillip is correct. Taking insulin shots should be rated at 40%. Also, if you can afford it, see a private neurologist about his PN. Most VAMC's are still using old testing equipment whereas private Drs are using modern,more sensitive, equipment. I was tested by both. The VAMC test showed mild PN. 2 months later, private testing showed moderately severe PN in both upper and lower extremities. Antiquated vs state of the art equipment.

But the most important thing is his heart. You mentioned fatigue. DMII can affect the heart as well. Get him to cardio for a thorough exam.

Edited by johnjjr

SEMPER FI

ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE

Thank you guys for the information. We will get him checked out by some private doctors. He was surprised that the VA found that the PN was just mild in his legs when he has so much pain and other symptoms. Also, they didn't even check his arms. We'll get his heart checked out too. He has dizziness and fatigue. We're going to pursue the 40% for diabetes because he takes insulin and he has a doctor statement that states that he must be vigilant with his activities due to low blood sugar episodes.

• HadIt.com Elder

AV

Can you get a second opinion on the Glaucoma from a private doctor? I went from 0% to 60% rating on heart condition because I asked for more testing and appealed. My problems are secondary to DMII. I would keep appealing these ratings and get more testing via your PCP or private source.

I don't know a lot about the DMII...

With that said, I have Pigmentary Glaucoma which was the resulf of a cataract surgery at the va. I was awarded 30% for the cataract seconday to steriod use for my lung disease. When I clamed intermittent light perception (blindness) and glaucoma as well as other issues I was told the 30% is the max for eye conditions unless you are totally blind or blind in one eye( and the rating is based on the one good eye) I was recently told by a va employee that under the new rating guidlines cataracts will no longer be rated at 30% but 0%. I have appealed the latest denial and I am trying to get a K award for the intermitttent blindness as well as compensation for the other issues.

My point is that maybe since the award for cataracts was changed, ( and I haven't seen the change in writing yet) that the award for other eye issues may have also been changed....