Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vamc Travel Pay Is Going Direct Deposit

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

I go to the VAMC a lot but today was the first day I was told that travel pay will have to be direct deposited. They already charge veterans a service charge so I bet the service charge will increase once the travel pay has to be sent direct deposited. I was told that travel pay will be deposited within 48 hours of a veterans’ scheduled appointment. This will be another mess.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Nashville allowed me to choose between cash & DD in January, even though I had sent in the necessary paperwork. They stopped my cash payments when I went for my February apppointments. Although I prefer cash payment on the day of appointment, DD has been made within 10 days and it is coming thru at a higher rate than I was receiving per cash.

This is just something else they can lose, misplace, misfile, or just not do at all. I am still waiting for clothing allowance and into my second year. The last time I checked the woman that did them left, and the one I talked to was still trying to figure out the system and where everything was. Doesn't do any good to complain, they just take a name and last four. And you get no feedback. We still go to a window at VA (I guess) thats what I did in Feb visit. I saw nothing on the cashier window. And the travel pay section is so close to the Pharmacy its a mob down there. People are in line waiting for scrip, and realize they are in the wrong line. I feel real sorry for the wheelchair guys trying to manipulate their way through the crowd. Something has to be done here. Congress doesn't seem to care, Senate doesn't seem to care and they just have meetings to spew out their own agendas. I have lost a lot of faith in the service organizations too. I called today on my claim, and it was sent from Indy (heavy backlog) to Agusta ME which has nearly a 70% backlog. One heavy backlog to the next. And the SO did not know if the claim was in decision mode, or what. It is pathetic.

While I like 71M10's idea, "travel pay" is pretty much a very very high cost to administrate plan. At my VA, I wait in line for 15 minutes..to get a voucher, and then its another 15 minute wait in line to get paid at the cashier. TWO lines for one $$5.90. Pharmacy actually has "double waiting" as well. You get a number, at pharmacy, then wait for your number to be called. Then, you speak to a gal, who sprinkles her holly water on your prescription. Then you watch a TV for your name, and then wait in another line for your pharmacy. Then you go home and wait for the mailman to deliver it.

Perhaps, the VA should have still another line, where they check id's before you enter the hospital, like when you go on post. This should help the VA, because maybe some Vets wont be able to survive the long wait and will perish while waiting, like about 20,000 Vets die waiting on benefits. The VA hopes we do die, waiting on benefits. It saves them money: This is the reason for long delays:

http://www.koat.com/news/Nearly-20-000-veterans-die-waiting-for-benefits-in-2012/-/9154100/18588334/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/bxq12jz/-/index.htm

My experience with travel pay is getting better all the time. In Jan. it took 9 days to DD my pay after an appt. Had a colonoscopy this past Wed (13th) and travel pay was deposited into my account today.

How are they going to pay the homeless vets, and vets with no checking or savings? If they can come up with this brainstorm idea, why can't they clean up the backlog?

Funny thing is Bay Pines in St Pete does the dd except with C&P exams. I had one there last week and was told to the next window. I went there and boom cash handed to me. Then on Friday I had a C&P down in Ft Myers VA at the brand new facility and they don't pay cash.

I don't get it!!!! The VA is screwer than anything I have seen on this travel pay stuff. Maybe the VA needs to file a MH claim!!!!

I think with homeless vets they will have to get one of those Visa Cards that you can deposit money on. That is what I am thinking...

Edited by rpowell01