VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Does Senatorial And Congressional Involvement Help?

SolInvictus

Question

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It helps you to wait an additional 60 days for the inquiry to be over.

Remember the folks at the RO do not care about the following.

Attorneys, VSO's and especially Congress or Senate Critters. They answer to no one and they have proved that time and time again.

J

I know a vet who recently contacted his congressman, after VA stalling since 06...He heard back from them in 3 days (congressional office) the VA is checking this out now! They expect to have an answer within 2-3 weeks...Who knows, however he chose this route when he found out about a vet wrapped up 13 years with appeals and they "looked" into his claims and in a few weeks he got a check for over 400k. I really don't know as I have heard it stalls things but it is an election year...

It is somewhat controversial. While several posters have stated that a congressman got them results "pronto", some others have even suggested the reverse effect.

There are about 278,000 VA employees. And they "do" different things. To say "the VA will do this" or "the VA will do that" often depends on which of the 57 Regional offices, which employee, and sometimes what mood that employee is in as to what "they" (the VA) will "do".

There is a wide variety of how much these employees are trained. And their opinion of Vets varies widely, just like their opinion on which man they will vote for come November.

I do think there is somewhat of an "immunity" of the VA to congress. VA goes their own way, and defies that congressman to do anything about it. Someone said the VA lives in "splendid isolation".

VA officials are rarely held accountable for their actions. If they were, would someone not be held accountable for some 17 suicides per day?

I think a better option than congress involvement in your case is to file a writ of mandamus. Even tho the Writ will likely be denied, it raises up red flags and makes the decision makers very uncomfortable because the judges of the Court of Veterans claims does not report to VASEC.

I agree with jbasser I went that route and all I got was a canned letter from the Congressman's office that they forwarded from the VA. What a joke and if you have any questions please contact us statement like that will do any good. They just bent over and accepted the VA's lame response and didn't do a thing because they can't they have no power to force them to do anything. In fact as "J" put it mine also took about 60 days and nothing came out of it except an extra entry in Ebenefits as an item closed. Not worth the time IMO 750 days and counting....JM

Edited by manning01 (see edit history)

I appreciate all of the educated and thoughtful advice and ill have to say John999's final comment sums it up and puts a bow on it quite nicely. It's complicated and varies greatly depending on the vets circumstances, location and proximity to the senator. But I think we can all agree that the closer the vets proximity, either by degrees of relation or professional association, to the political representative the better. In my case he's my 33rd cousin twice removed from another mother. I'm also the king of Siam so I should get my results as soon as yesterday. But a vet can always pray.

Down the road.At first, It will be a stock inquiry the VA will blow off. As your congressperson begins to believe you might really have a claim they may be helpful. But years are going to go by....

Wanted to add something else about the congressman's office staff I refered to a few posts dowm...the liason person told the vet his RO had a new Director and his name, and info about him, ie he really cares about vets and she felt he had "some influence" and I guess we will see...She said the 2 that she dealt with which is in my previous post too.

I know it took me forever and settled with them to keep my sanity...I did not use any congressional or senatorial assistance. Just facts, internet studies, became a main point of assistance, and my professional relationship with the C&P staff. I even found a nun from Mississippi to write a statement concerning my claim...(from 1969)

. This was my life's purpose to win, for my sanity, and my reputation, and the befefits. So one has to use all the educational evidence out there and all the professional, literature, studies worldwide, facts, books, articles, etc to get the evidence to win!

It gets discouraging, very much so, especially when a va employee takes your file and writes a statement to deny by changing the facts/dates/opinions of physicians to deny, then stop payments stating you are deceased, then trying to sever , and denying again, and you request DRO Denovo review hearing, and finally you bombard them, and they cue and you get P&T... So I know how they work, operate, and "make up or change facts" to use any tactic to deny!! If and when I find out this vet finally gets results (satisfactorily) I will post his experience using his congressional assistance. You have to do what you think is your best option...Sorry I got into this more but I wanted you to know the RO is NOT yyour friend, it rarely matters your diagnosis/illiness, if someone decides not to grant, you have the fight of your life on.

Good luck and I hope you have a fair person that reads, and understands you claim, and favors on the side of the vet with the evidence. halos2

"..Sorry I got into this more but I wanted you to know the RO is NOT yyour friend, it rarely matters your diagnosis/illiness, if someone decides not to grant, you have the fight of your life on."

Sadly, very true words.....

• HadIt.com Elder

Like all things political it really depends on how much juice the Congress Critter has. If you are lucky enought to have one who sits on a Veterans Committee probaly helps a lot. But I remember at how the Army would laugh about Congressional Inquiries but it sure made them mad.

I actually think that the best way to make the VA move is to obtain a Writ of Mandamus. Just my opinion.

Like all things political it really depends on how much juice the Congress Critter has. If you are lucky enought to have one who sits on a Veterans Committee probaly helps a lot. But I remember at how the Army would laugh about Congressional Inquiries but it sure made them mad.

I actually think that the best way to make the VA move is to obtain a Writ of Mandamus. Just my opinion.

I agree as with the writ as well

NO, will not help! I have had my congressman check twice so far on my claim.I still am waiting. It has been 19 months now.

Did he manage to at least get the real status of your file pulled out of the stack and checked? And how soon after you requested his assistance did you get any useful info? Thanks buddy.

No. they send in a stock request to some VA liaison in Washington who sends them a canned response. Down the road, when/if they think you have an appeal (not claim) that might win you may get some help.

No. they send in a stock request to some VA liaison in Washington who sends them a canned response. Down the road, when/if they think you have an appeal (not claim) that might win you may get some help.

I see. Is it safe to assume the senator might have more clout if the appeal is with the DRO instate, or is it likely to follow a similar beuraucratic route to a slow and unceremonious death as well?

"or is it likely to follow a similar beuraucratic route to a slow and unceremonious death as well?"

Yes, at this point. If you can get them to contact the RO directly instead of going through the VA congressional liaison, that woulds help.

Well just the other day, my Regional Office manager sent my congressman's office a letter. My inquiry was why the Regional Office has not answered my multiple requests for an informal conference.

In the letter the Regional manager proceeds to indicate I have to send a specific written request to thier office requesting the informal conference and I have to tell them why I think I need an informal conference. All of this is contrary to what is written in M21-1MR.

After reading the letter it was clear. My regional office could careless what the rules are. The Manager completely mis-characterized what is written in M21-1MR and then completey mischaracterized what written communications from them has said. They have no fear of a congressional inquiry. If they will lie in writting to a congressman, they will do whatever they want to do with my file. I fear that if I aggressively pursue my rights, I will be retaliated against. I have no hope for a possible fair or just review of the claim until it goes to the BVA.

I used to think the DRO was the best way to go, but my current situation is making me rethink that. If your RO sets on your DRO review for 2-3 years, it will be another 2-3 before the BVA actually looks at it and that means your first remand will happen in about 7 years.

"I used to think the DRO was the best way to go, but my current situation is making me rethink that. If your RO sets on your DRO review for 2-3 years, it will be another 2-3 before the BVA actually looks at it and that means your first remand will happen in about 7 years."

It is for this reason my goal was to always get to BVA as soon as I could. As someone put it to me years ago, "at BVA they have people that can read...."