VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stessor Verification Without Jsrrc?

Rate this question

SigBnSoldier

Question

This is my first post in hadit, but I've been reading for nearly a year, thank you for your wisdom!

I've faced a lot of criticism for having a non combat ptsd claim on a different site, so I'll briefly qualify my circumstances in order to get help.

I was stationed in Germany, 1990-1992. During a field exercise, at night, while in uniform, there was a large explosion near my AO at the training area, it was a German civilian transport truck and a small passenger car that had wrecked and caught fire on the nearby autobahn. I along with several other soldiers rushed to the scene and rescued the driver of the truck, and tried unsuccessfully to pull out his passenger before it went up in flames. The passenger didn't make it, and I can't forget the scene and the hopelessness of standing by...

Within a few weeks I started experiencing nightmares, anxiety, panic attacks. I was under the naive assumption that PTSD was only for combat veterans until about a year ago, when I was at the VA clinic in my town to see the mental health. The Psch diagnosed me with PTSD non combat, and encouraged me to file a claim.

To digress, I was diagnosed bipolar at the VA in 2002 also with a previous history of suicide attempts a year and a half after discharge. I was discharged (ETS) honorably in 1996. First suicide attempt was 18 months after. I have many similar diagnosis of bipolar, one of "reaction psychosis", and a depression diagnosis all through VA and inpatient for bipolar/suicidal ideation. I was awarded SSDI in 2003.

Having filled you in, here are my questions-

Do these many diagnosis other than PTSD, after discharge, completely negate this new diagnosis of PTSD?

Second question, I have had a heck of a time gathering proof of my stressor. So far I've submitted a German newspaper article and two eyewitness buddy statements, as well as two family statements and all my post discharge medical history. I've written to the JSRRC, they claim no record of my Signal Battalion in Germany was ever turned in. My brigade and battalion were inactivated in 2007. I have ran into dead ends in finding unit reports of the incident. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to search for S-3 reports or Staff Duty journals, so that I can send the VA further proof of my stressor?

Thank you for reading my thread and for your help!

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"by the traumatic event"...if this event is covered by the new PTSD regulations here:

"Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA doctor confirms that the stressful experience recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor. Previously, claims adjudicators were required to corroborate that a non-combat Veteran actually experienced a stressor related to hostile military activity. This final rule simplifies the development that is required for these cases." The "VA reduces the evidence needed if the trauma claimed by a Veteran is related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity and is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the Veteran’s service."

from: http://www.veteranslaw.com/new-regulations-for-PTSD

or you have a CIB or CAR on your DD214 or other evidence that supports a stressor not defined above, then I feel you will succeed in your PTSD claim.

Are you near a Vet Center? Vet Centers offer the chance to be in small groups with men and women veterans who understand exactly what your anxiety is because they usually have PTSD and/or other MH issues too.

When I worked at a vet center , the VA had no control nor any record of our weekly PTSD group sessions. Our Team leader ( employed by VA but 30% PTSD from Vietnam) kept everything on point but this was an environment where vets felt safe to discuss their service related problems,and realized they were not alone.

• HadIt.com Elder

I thought if a veteran went to a vet center that the visits there were free of charge and the only thing they had to pay for was meds that could be issued by the VAMC. The only thing to be seen at a vet center is that the vet has to be a combat veteran or served during a war period, peace time soldiers can not use the vet centers. Or an I wrong in that thinking?

Testvet You are sure correct......

Also, the vet center I worked in many years ago, as a VA volunteer, had NSC vets,from time to time but I think they were there to see a Vet rep about their claims. Some things have changed.at vet centers. We saw family members of vets from time to time, and there was no limiting criteria at all , for vets ,except maybe having a copy of their DD 214, and proof of service as defined in this link, to participate in Vet Centers.

ribbontop.JPG

WORLD WAR II - Three eligible categories - European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign-Medal (7 Dec. 1941 to 8 Nov. 1945), Asiatic - Pacific Campaign Medal (7 Dec. 1941 to 2 Mar. 1946), or American Campaign Medal (7 Dec. 1941 to 2 Mar. 1946)

AMERICAN MERCHANT MARINES – In oceangoing service during the period of armed conflict, 7 Dec. 1941 to 15 Aug. 1945

KOREAN WAR - 27 June 1950 to - 27 July 1954 (eligible for the Korean Service Medal)

VIETNAM WAR - 28 Feb. 1961 to 7 May 1975

LEBANON - 25 Aug. 1982 to 26 Feb. 1984

GRENADA - 23 Oct. 1983 to 21 Nov. 1983

PANAMA - 20 Dec. 1989 to 31 Jan. 1990

PERSIAN GULF - 2 Aug. 1990 to

SOMALIA - 17 Sept. 1992 to

BOSNIA - 21 Nov. 1995 to 01 Nov. 2007

KOSOVO - 24 Mar. 1999 to

OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM-7 Oct. 2001 to

OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM - 19 Mar. 2003 to 17 Feb. 2010

OPERATION NEW DAWN - 17 Feb. 2010 to

OPERATION JOINT ENDEAVOR, OPERATION JOINT GUARD, & OPERATION JOINT FORGE - Veterans who participated in one or more of the three successive operations in the former Yugoslavia (Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia, aboard U.S. Naval vessels operating in the Adriatic Sea, or air spaces above those areas).

Veterans who served or have served in Kosovo either in its waters or airspace after March 24, 1999, and before a terminal date yet to be established.

GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM - Veterans who serve or have served in military expeditions to combat terrorism on or after September 11, 2001 and before a terminal date yet to be established.
Includes OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM & OPERATION NEW DAWN.

SEXUAL TRAUMA AND HARASSMENT COUNSELING - veterans of both sexes, all eras Vet Center services include individual readjustment counseling, referral for benefits assistance, group readjustment counseling, liaison with community agencies, marital and family counseling, substance abuse information and referral, job counseling and placement, sexual trauma counseling, and community education.

BEREAVEMENT COUNSELING - Bereavement counseling is offered to parents, siblings, spouses and children of Armed Forces personnel who die in the service to our country. Also eligible are family members of Reservists and National Guardsmen who die while on federally activated duty.

ribbonbot.JPG

OPERATION JOINT ENDEAVOR, OPERATION JOINT GUARD, & OPERATION JOINT FORGE - Veterans who participated in one or more of the three successive operations in the former Yugoslavia (Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia, aboard U.S. Naval vessels operating in the Adriatic Sea, or air spaces above those areas).

Veterans who served or have served in Kosovo either in its waters or airspace after March 24, 1999, and before a terminal date yet to be established.

GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM - Veterans who serve or have served in military expeditions to combat terrorism on or after September 11, 2001 and before a terminal date yet to be established.
Includes OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM & OPERATION NEW DAWN.

SEXUAL TRAUMA AND HARASSMENT COUNSELING - veterans of both sexes, all eras Vet Center services include individual readjustment counseling, referral for benefits assistance, group readjustment counseling, liaison with community agencies, marital and family counseling, substance abuse information and referral, job counseling and placement, sexual trauma counseling, and community education.

BEREAVEMENT COUNSELING - Bereavement counseling is offered to parents, siblings, spouses and children of Armed Forces personnel who die in the service to our country. Also eligible are family members of Reservists and National Guardsmen who die while on federally activated duty.

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

"by the traumatic event"...if this event is covered by the new PTSD regulations here:

"Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA doctor confirms that the stressful experience recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor. Previously, claims adjudicators were required to corroborate that a non-combat Veteran actually experienced a stressor related to hostile military activity. This final rule simplifies the development that is required for these cases." The "VA reduces the evidence needed if the trauma claimed by a Veteran is related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity and is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the Veteran’s service."

from: http://www.veteranslaw.com/new-regulations-for-PTSD

or you have a CIB or CAR on your DD214 or other evidence that supports a stressor not defined above, then I feel you will succeed in your PTSD claim.

Are you near a Vet Center? Vet Centers offer the chance to be in small groups with men and women veterans who understand exactly what your anxiety is because they usually have PTSD and/or other MH issues too.

When I worked at a vet center , the VA had no control nor any record of our weekly PTSD group sessions. Our Team leader ( employed by VA but 30% PTSD from Vietnam) kept everything on point but this was an environment where vets felt safe to discuss their service related problems,and realized they were not alone.

In one way I assumed my stressor was verified by virtue of even being scheduled for my C&P. No, I am not a combat vet, my stressor was a fiery wreck on the autobahn in Germany in which we pulled burning civilians from the wreckage, and were unable to save some as we watched.

A copy of my C file arrived a five weeks after my C&P exam. In it was a form that gave directions to the Psychologist examiner. The VSR who wrote it said, "The veteran has sent in several eyewitness buddy letters that place him at the scene of the accident..."

With this, I assumed (hoped) that VA had verified my stressor.

As far as the Vet center goes, I did not think I was eligible, I was never deployed to SW Asia, I was in service during the gulf but never sent. I thought that eligibility for the vet center depended on service IN southwest asia, not just during the war...

My stressor happened during a field exercise. Our unit was in a spot that was located about 150 yards from an autobahn. The air campaign had just begun in the first gulf war and we, at the time, were certain we would be going any day. When the explosion of the accident (civilian simi truck loaded with batteries) rocked our area we were sure we were being ambushed by terrorists, and for some minutes I operated with the belief that we were in combat...

It wasn't the mere belief of combat that haunts me to this day, it's the scene of the fatalities and the inability to rescue a poor man as he burned in his truck, that causes so much panic and fear through my life these days. An inability to drive or go anywhere near vehicles and constant symptoms of ptsd that so many of you speak of that I experience.

I have mental health treatment records dating back from shortly after discharge from the army, continuous. So, with all this I'm hoping for a favorable outcome. I don't even care if I rate 0%, I just want the psych treatment help, copays go unpaid because I've got a family to feed and I haven't worked since 2004. SSDI barely covers the mortgage and food, and the VA keeps garnishing my SSDI every few months. Although it's only $60 here or there, I owe the va over $700 because they say I was in the wrong priority group for a year.

I don't do well around others, and can not work. Im pretty sure that's why the VA added IU to my claim. One of my statements in support must have said something of the matter.

Getting treatment is very appealing to me, but at the moment copays stop me from accepting my VA psych referal. She put in my CPRS notes taht was the reason so the rater wouldn't think I was refusing treatment. But she said I could get the PTSD workbook for about 20 bucks online and do some work at home on my thinking.

Anyway, I'm rambling... sorry.

I don't even care if I rate 0%, I just want the psych treatment help, copays go unpaid because I've got a family to feed and I haven't worked since 2004. SSDI barely covers the mortgage and food, and the VA keeps garnishing my SSDI every few months. Although it's only $60 here or there, I owe the va over $700 because they say I was in the wrong priority group for a year.

Getting treatment is very appealing to me, but at the moment copays stop me from accepting my VA psych referal.

Go to finance and get that 700 bucks and future co-pays waived

as you are basically indigent.

New development... I think I'm screwed

On Saturday, a contention that I withdrew ten months ago for tinnitus reappeared as a new claim on ebenefits. I didn't know why it happened so I called the 202 case management to see if they could get it removed so it wouldn't slow down my claim. Got the info on that and that it was my DAV that inadvertently sent in coorespondence about the tinnitus contention making the VA think I still wanted it...

So anyway, in chatting with the management guy we talked a little about my PTSD claim. He told me the reason it's still in the development phase after 16 months, Review of Evidence, is because they are waiting for something from JSRRC... Oh crap! I clearly read in the regs that a VSR is not to schedule a C&P exam until after a non combat stressor has been corroborated. I had my C&P 4 months ago and it went well. WTF???

I asked him this and he got very vague. He said maybe they needed to reverify my stressor because the examiner also connected my Bipolar disorder in addition to the PTSD stressor event. But he was very vague, leading me to believe the VA hasn't corroborated the stressor.

I sent in 4 eyewitness buddy letters, a newspaper article in a German paper of the event and continuous psych treatment records since discharge. Do they need more? I thought this could be done without JSRRC?

Is this possible?

Why would the VA send me to a C&P before receiving corroboration? Anybody have ideas?

Edited by SigBnSoldier