VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trouble Getting Pain Medicine

Rate this topic

I am in my 8th year of chronic pain management and have been through it all. The thing you should be aware of is that depending on your state and the pharmacy monitoring system, they will not give you pain meds on a long term basis if you are taking non va prescribed meds, including THC, The VA pain management contract can be found on line and describes what is and isn't allowed. Basically you cannot even consume alcohol while receiving narcotics from the VA. The idea is that they can manage your pain with pharmaceuticals without the need for anything else. But you must sign a pain management contract before they begin. As for not prescribing narcotics at all just check the va formulary which is also available online and you will find a multitude of pain meds that they can dispense if they see a necessity.

W

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I am prescribed 10mg of hydrocodone 2 x a day for back and arthritic pain in knees and feet. One in morning so I can get out of bed and move around and one at bedtime so that I can get some rest. The only problem I have had is getting prescription from VA on time but that is a Meds by Mail issue.

I don't have pain management nore anything but refill through my gatekeeper Doc. I started at 5mg 1 x a day.

• HadIt.com Elder

It may be legal at the state level but it is illegal at the federal level and federal law law trumps state law so its still illegal.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

I have the same mail problem with my pain meds. They can come either on the first of the month or the 8th of the month and anything inbetween. Also the meds I get are not appropriate for my chronic pain. Fentynal patches are the worst. Hightly unpredictable and I can't stand the morhpine, or the methadone so what is left. I take oxycodone.

John