VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Reevaluation?

Rate this question

StreetWalker

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When I was approved for social security disability I received a dairy date of three years. My condition remains the same (major depression, PTSD, anxiety related disorder, hypertention, sleep apnea and psychotic disorder). I continue to see my doctors faithfully (primary care doctor, psychiatrist and psychologist) but I still worry about my continuing disability review. Can anyone who has went threw a continuing disability review provide some insight into what it entailed? I am 39 yrs. old and I worry about my disability benefits being cut off due to my age.

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally they re-evaulate for SSDI, the first time at 2-3 yrs and then depending on what your prognosis is, may extend it to 3yrs, 5yrs, 7yrs or none. Be sure to continue seeing your medical/psychological caregivers regularly, so you have current records, as doing so may avoid a re-evaluation and just trigger a simple review. If the records are there they may do a simple review and continue your award. Failure to continue treatment is a "red flag" as they may consider you "cured!" jmo

pr

It might also depend on the case. I have never been reevaluated and I have been on SSD since 1998. Ever so often I did get a letter requesting me to fill out a form indicating when was the last time I was hospitalized other than that nothing. Maybe those letters were my reviews, but I supplied so little information that I really doubt it. I haven't received the form letter in at least three years now..

Wouldn't you know it... I received a letter today( Feb 11) from social security disability asking me if I returned to work or If I am self employed... Of course I told them no... I sure hope that selling my vinyl record collection on eBay doesn't count...

Edited by Teac

• HadIt.com Elder

Interesting. When I turned 62, due to a long standing heart condition (IHD, etc.) I applied for both SSDI and early retirement.

The early retirement kicked in as scheduled. Some months later, SSDI awarded, but with the wrong EDD. I went through an administrative process one step short of a formal appeal, and got the EDD changed to six months after I had last worked. That worked out to about as far back as the SSA law allowed. The SSDI documents showed that the medical conditions were "not likely" to improve. Further, The VA's Nehmer review results made the VA 100% rating "P&T" for the IHD alone, and awarded small percentages for other claimed conditions. The results also instructed the VARO that further C&Ps were not needed or desired. The SSA retro was substantial, since it was the difference between full retirement and early retirement for the retro period. When I turned 65, the SSDI converted automatically to "standard" SSA retirement, with no change in the payment amounts.

Edited by Chuck75

My paperwork tells me I'm scheduled for reevaluation in 5-7 years.

The VA used the fact that I'm scheduled for a reevaluation as one of the reasons to deny my TDIU claim.