VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Power Of Attorney- What The Crap!?!

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I am so confused. David (Rockman passed away on 09/02/12 and I filed for my DIC on 10/26/12 & the Va Nashville received the claim on 11/02/12. A couple of weeks ago I received a letter stating that they were still processing my claim. I thought well- I should be awarded my long due DIC, but knew that I did have to deal with getting it in "VA's time frame"! So, now I will have more retro and that is a good thing.

Now it comes to today. I called the State VSO for them to check on how it was going and he looked it up. He said that it had something about Power of Attorney and was he was not sure. He was going to fax over to then everything and then call them. He was going to have them simply walk it over to them & give it to them. He asked if I had called the 800#-WOW- I asked him politely if he had ever called the 800 Peggy girl. He confirmed that he had and knew what I meant. I told him that it was like calling the Social Security Office. He said that he would call me back. Do I need some oxygen while I keep holding my breath??

The only Power of Attorney that I can find is when I signed the VA 10-0137- VA Advance Directive Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Living Will. Am I totally hung out to dry?? I am so upset that I cannot see straight.

If anyone can help-I would appreciate it so much! God Bless!!

Celia

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

john999,

I understand about the medical POA, for we had that done way before Rockman got very sick.

I went into our local bank one day and talked to them about our accounts and this was while David was still alive. I did want to make sure that no account would be frozen. We were good on all fronts. I knew it was better to get this all straight while he was still alive, just in case there was something that we needed to do.

pr and T8r,

" The poa ends with veteran and widow will have to fill out a new form herself. Also the new forms have to be signed by both veteran/widow and poa before they are recognized. The already established are grandfathered in."

If the POA dies with the veteran, then where does" the grandfathered in" come into play? Why would I and the POA have to sign the new form then? Since the 800 Peggy girl shows that TN is my POA, then I want to make sure if I need to sign something that it is in the records as being legal. Sorry that I am still a little "cornfused" ( my Tennessee in me is coming out).

Yes, I kept saying the Nashville RO, when I sent it all to Milwaukee. I will also call tomorrow and make sure they did not fax anything to Nashville and that it was faxed to Milwaukee.

Celia

• HadIt.com Elder
john999,

I understand about the medical POA, for we had that done way before Rockman got very sick.

I went into our local bank one day and talked to them about our accounts and this was while David was still alive. I did want to make sure that no account would be frozen. We were good on all fronts. I knew it was better to get this all straight while he was still alive, just in case there was something that we needed to do.

pr and T8r,

" The poa ends with veteran and widow will have to fill out a new form herself. Also the new forms have to be signed by both veteran/widow and poa before they are recognized. The already established are grandfathered in."

If the POA dies with the veteran, then where does" the grandfathered in" come into play? Why would I and the POA have to sign the new form then? Since the 800 Peggy girl shows that TN is my POA, then I want to make sure if I need to sign something that it is in the records as being legal. Sorry that I am still a little "cornfused" ( my Tennessee in me is coming out).

Yes, I kept saying the Nashville RO, when I sent it all to Milwaukee. I will also call tomorrow and make sure they did not fax anything to Nashville and that it was faxed to Milwaukee.

Celia

Celia - T8r posted the link that spells out the grandfathering clause to VFW VSO's. Rockman's POA died w/him. You need to sign a new POA w/whatever organization you chose to use and then they must sign it and submit it to the VA before it will be recognized. You need not execute a POA unless you want someone to represent you. If they say TN is your POA, then you must have signed the document or they are in error. Ask them the effective date and have them fax/mail you a copy.

pr