VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am 100% Iu And Had My 73K Student Loan Discharged And Forgiven!

Rate this topic

rafebanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations!

Yes, it is ridicilious. Even tho its the law that they discharge these loans for disabled Vets, they try to "weasel" out of it. It took 3 tries for me to get my student loan discharged.

First, they did not like the form I used, whining that it was a Phd and not an MD. Then, when I got the MD's signature, they said his form was incomplete.

I finally sent them the VA letter and got it done. It took months and months, and my credit report still shows "past due" while they were "processing" my student loan forgiveness paperwork. I have contacted them, and they wont budge taking those errors off my credit report.

The way to go about the credit report problem is to challenge the information by letter to the credit reporting agencies.You start by getting the annual federal law "free credit report" from the three main agencies. If the creditor refuses to correct things, you can supposedly get them into some difficulties that may cost them money.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

From what I have read it is almost impossible to correct a credit report because the credit reporters don't read the appeals, or don't act on them.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

The first try they said it looked like a scanned image so the loan servicer (great lakes) didn't process the forgiveness app (they never responded until I called months later). Once that was resolved it took about 3 months.

For anyone trying to do the same. Start with your loan servicer.

I may well be on the hook for taxes, I think it is more likely than not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • In Memoriam

I agree with John999. I dropped a class and I kept 220 dollars. Even though I finished my degree the VA hounded me for over 7 years. I finally paid it just to stop getting their threats. The threats were like clock work.

Least something has changed since Viet Nam.

Actually if you read the rules under student loan forgiveness a Doctor can say you are too disabled to work and that is sufficient enough to have your loans forgiven.

I agree with John999. I dropped a class and I kept 220 dollars. Even though I finished my degree the VA hounded me for over 7 years. I finally paid it just to stop getting their threats. The threats were like clock work.

Least something has changed since Viet Nam.

They overpaid me also on a couple of terms. The VA's debt management worked it out so I can just pay $72 a month and its just taken out of my comp pay....

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use