VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am 100% Iu And Had My 73K Student Loan Discharged And Forgiven!

Rate this topic

rafebanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

That is just absolutely amazing. I saw a news story where these universities are now suing people for not paying their student loans years later and putting leins on their houses and property.

I am happy for you.

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband had a very small student loan balance - less then 700 bucks and when he had a 1151 stroke, NYSHED called here relentlessly for payment when he could no long go to Voc Rehab or work

He wanted me to send them the money but someone told me,that if he makes one payment while disabled, they will pressure him definitely for the full balance. There calls were constant. No caller ID in those days.

We found a Student loan form waiver at the local law library. Limited internet ion those days too. You would think those NYS Higher ED clowns would have sent him one,knowing he had become completely disabled.

His VA PCP doc filled it out and signed it right away for him.Bingo NO more calls and he got letter about the balance being waived.

This was in early 1990s.

I found a copy of the same waiver the VA doctor signed a few months months ago in my C file.

VA had awarded me only 6 months retro for his Section 1151 stroke in 2012 in the award letter for his AO IHD and the SMC CUE I filed, indicating he was not totally and permanent disabled after the 6 months time frame of the retro.

Not my butt. I found very significant medical evidence and information (that VA already had but ignored in this 2012 award) that he was in fact P & T from the 1151 CVA for 2 years. VA owes me some more cash.

My point is that the Student Loan waiver signed by a VA doctor says he was P & T disabled due to the 1151 CVA . Thus they waived the balance.

We CANNOT overlook or misplace important stuff like student loan waivers signed by a doctor, as they might be needed down the road to support a finding of Total and Permanent Disability.

Rafebanks, did VA give you the P & T designation too?

Edited by Berta

Congratulations!

Yes, it is ridicilious. Even tho its the law that they discharge these loans for disabled Vets, they try to "weasel" out of it. It took 3 tries for me to get my student loan discharged.

First, they did not like the form I used, whining that it was a Phd and not an MD. Then, when I got the MD's signature, they said his form was incomplete.

I finally sent them the VA letter and got it done. It took months and months, and my credit report still shows "past due" while they were "processing" my student loan forgiveness paperwork. I have contacted them, and they wont budge taking those errors off my credit report.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Even if you declare bankrupcy you will not get out of student loans. 100% vets are about the only ones who can get out of it except maybe those on SSD. I owed the VA $250 for G.I. Bill back in the 70's and they hounded me for that money for years. I appealed because they overpaid me and I was broke except for 28 bucks a month I got for 10% disablity.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use