Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Form 21-674

Rate this question

indyman

Question

My twins are graduating from High School in June and starting college in August. I filed the 21-674's in April so that compensation would not be interrupted. However, I have an IU claim awaiting a decision. The average wait time in Indy is 417.2 days. I am near 300. How does the VA handle the 21-674? Will they process it, or did I start the clock over again? Or will they just put it in the claim file and process it along with my IU claim, and then pay retro. Anyone had this issue before?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

If you submitted a acceptance letter from the college/university with the 21-674's, you should be ok. Not sure where you received the information to submit the 674's in April, but you were advised right! The sooner the better. By submitting them early like that many see no break in payments, so I believe you will be ok in that regard. Normally, these claims are being adjudicated with the dependency claims as an additional duty and yes they take forever! I 'm working with a vet right now who has been waiting for 18 months. his daughter is almost finished with her sophomore year and still no pay.

I do believe that you will be ok though.

I do not believe it will effect your claim for TDIU. If the additional payment for your kids do stop, Then, I see you receiving a rating decision with the results of your TDIU and the other being deferred.

This also depends on the VARO that is handling your claim as well.

Hope your not to confused :)

Thanks meghp0405. I did one better than just the confirmation letters. I also included a copy of each of their schedules, subjects and hours they are taking. Somewhere I was told anywhere from 90 days to 180 days you submit the forms for continued education for dependents attending school aged 18-23. If you file too early, they get lost, too late, a break in compensation. On my last award for tinnitus they approved my twins who were still in high school on my tinnitus award. That was one of my concerns on my TDIU claim which I was informed would be decided in 7-9 months. I am on my tenth month now. Thanks for the reassurance.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your kids should also see the Schools VA Councillor as they need a degree plan filed with the VA and if they change or drop classes they need to notify VA. My experience with my kids were the VA is very helpful with our kids.

Indyman,

The problem with answering your question is the VA isn't following the rules and I get the sense each Regional Office is doing thier own thing. If they followed the rules they should have never come off the award (my son was in the same situation, and they didn't fix him until the award last month). M21-1MR was changed last February and states if a veteran provides evidence of intent to continue school after graduation leave them on the award and have them complete 21-674 which will then be processed. The schedule and acceptance letter should have met this requirement. Everytime I sent an IRIS asking why VA wasn't following thier own rules the response I received back was "high volume of claims....working hard....thank you for your service"

Pete, I don't think you need to involve the guidance/advisors at the school unless Chap 35 is involved.

Best regards,