Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help On Tinnitus Info

Rate this question

OnRiver

Question

Does anyone know where the va has information on how they qualify tintinitus? does the ringing have to be consistent are can it be on a weekly or intermitent basis. I really need how they judge whether one has it and other complications. Also does it matter if you didnot receive a seperation examination or not...I didn't as it was from Vietnam home in 69. Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Also, tinnitus has many other causes in addition to military noise exposure. High Blood Pressure and also either an open or closed Traumatic Brain Injury can cause tinnitus too. It is not limited to noise exposure such as in an actual battle engagement. Any vet that has been issued the CIB (Army) or CAR (Navy&Marine Corps) from Vietnam or any other war or conflict is proof enough of sufficient military noise exposure to warrant S/C for tinnitus. A PH is not an automatic for proof of tinnitus unless there is a CIB or CAR also awarded. All other must provide sufficient evidence from what I have seen.

Mine is two fold. I am S/C for open TBI with skull loss of 4.5 x4.5 cm and also military noise exposure as a Marine Corps Vietnam Combat Vet with a CAR.

Like I said previously, my C&P Exam consisted of only and interview along with my C-File and did not take more than 5 minutes. If you were in actual combat you will get awarded tinnitus with the CIB or CAR.

• In Memoriam

Aircraft noise and JP5 for 3 years or more should be sufficient. I will just have to NOD the VARO decision from June 28, 2006. I think I had better get another load of pineapples for the RO.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

I agree with Rocky, there is no test for tinnitus. During my retirement physical I noted that I had tinnitus (used the correct term). When I went to the VA for phase II of my physical, I was asked questions about my condition and what I had done in the army. I was a tanker, and by the interviewers reaction it was pretty much a given that I would be granted the 10%, and I was. I was given another hearing test while at the VA, but the resluts did not show any significant hearing loss. In fact, they were amazed that my hearing was as good as it was considering I had been in combat arms for 26 years.

Tim

Vet and proud of it

• HadIt.com Elder

What is it when your hearing doctor tells you that you have a slight hearing loss at the upper range and that it is a nerve problem and that it is not treatable. What does that mean? The VA seems to concede that the loss is related to military service.

not treatable does not mean not ratable-

John-have they given you the whole Audio decibal test?

Or did the doc say this based on how he/she observed your hearing in an exam? without audio testing?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I was in the same boat for hearing loss. I did not have any hearing loss, just tinnitus. However, be careful with VAMC hearing loss tests and interpretations!

I know of at least 5 vets that had the VAMC do the hearing test for C&P and all 5 were reported to have hearing at the 98% range with no significant hearing loss.

In reality all 5 of these Vets went and had another hearing test by a civilian licensed audiologist. 3 of the 5 were almost deaf in one ear and could barely hear out of the other, the other two had 50% hearing loss. The VA denied their claims for hearing loss because the C&P said 98%. Apparently this is wide spread and you more than likely will not get a fair shake on hearing loss from the VAMC audiology department.

Anyway, these vets took the reports and sent them in to their VA PC doctor who scheduled appointments for them in augiology. They had to go back and have the wax pu in their ears and stuff for fitting of hearing aids.

Talk about a hoot!!!! These vets whom I served with 3 of them are still juggling their NODs for hearing loss since last November. How crazy is that? The VA fitted them and gave them all hearing aids, but yet the C&P reported all of their hearing was at 98% with only 2% hearing loss. You would think the VA would just concede this kind of crap. How can they say these vets don't have hearing loss when the VA furnished them with hearing aids?

Be careful and be wary of the VAMCs hearing loss findings. I have heard of more and more vets where the VA stated their hearing was in the 98% range but yet have to wear hearing aids furnished by the VA.

There is definitely something wrong here. If I myself experience hearing loss, I will get the IMO FIRST and turn it in with the claim as medical evidence. AND I suggest you all do the same!