Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gabapentin And Mood

Rate this topic

Been working on why my joints (knees hips neck shoulder region low back) have a dull burning ache. Went to dr today and was prescribed gabapentim. Now everything I am reading on this doesn't look good with citalopram and hydroxyzine or any anxiety/mood. Has anybody had any side effects with gabapentim and mood?

Let it kick in, meaning let the medication get into your system. I do have mood issues along with short term memory with Gabapentin but I am on 3200mg per day. The C&P Examiner thought it was the Tramadol giving me short term memory loss but unlike everything else about C&P examiners she didn't realize that I was taking Tramadol by itself and had a 3.8 GPA in College. Once the Doctors gave me Gabapentin and upped it to 800mg that is when my short term memory went to crap and I had to quit college because of it, along with the pain I had in my legs, feet and toes.

So, yes it does cause mood swings and some type of memory loss. What I learned to do is if you can, just go outside and walk around and get away from people. I take walks around my house about 3-4 times a day. Hope this helps...BTW I take this much Gabapentin because I am one of the new guinea pigs the VA is trying out so they don't have to give me narcotics. But, hey I will just go to my Private Doctor to ask about some type of low dose narcotic so I can take it at night to help the pain as I wake up in the mornings....I can stand that and is the worst part of my day.

Good Luck...

It all started because I am having trouble sleeping. Keep waking up and rolling over. Waking up and rolling over. Can't seem to stay on one side very long. Then at work I can't sit in same position very long because points on me start aching. Have to flex and extend my limbs. Just would like one good night sleep.

I have been on it for about 1 year and I don't see and results. I still have a constant burn in my legs and feet. I have noticed that I do have memory issues and focus issues but I didn't know that it could be from the medication. I am going to read up on that!

Bottom line the VA is quick to pump us veterans full of medication but have an issue when it comes to actually correcting the issues that we have !!

there are several side effects to these drugs and the effect varies from individual to individual. I am sure that you already know that, but I can tell you that I am on both of these meds and have been for about 7 years. I have no side effects with the two.

Good luck sir!

The Gabapentin only works for a few days for me after they up it. Then here comes the needle, pins and the burning in my toes and feet. For some it works for some it doesn't...It just any other drug.