Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gabapentin And Mood

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you take gabapentin, you might want to keep an eye on your weight. I took it for about a year for radiculopathy and gained a good bit of weight. The weight gain stopped after I was taken off the med. This might not happen to everyone.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I've had trouble keeping my weight down as well. I don't know the correlation between meds and weight gain as I'm on several, but this makes me think I should check the disclosure information on this particular drug.

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.

• 2 weeks later...

my pain doctor... is a pain,,, no seriously,, she prescribed me this Gapapentin med, and at night I sleep, but if I take it during the day it makes me lay down and pass out!~ I will not take it during the day and she wants me to take it for my back problems,, she finally gave them to go ahead to resume my spinal shots, 4 months late!!! grrrrr!!! I cannot take it 3x a day like she wants, but I will not tell her yet that I can't I need my spinal shots that I was getting every three months before she took over.. I have no clue why she thinks it will help my back pain... when it only knocks me out for 6 straight hours.. crazy!!! like I SAID in another post the person who schedules the shots is not even taking phone calls until this coming week, meanwhile I just suffer.. that medicine, this Gab stuff hits me hard and I have no clue why she make me take it, but I am not taking some strong stuff that puts me into a coma... I think that's abusive! I have no idea what it does to other people.. the VA is out of control with doctors making people take dangerous stuff... it is so confusing how they can stop you from taking stuff that helps you, but make you take stuff that put you In a coma all day!!! btw, does anyone that cares and that can fix the va ever read these forums?

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been on Vanlaflexine for almost a year now and happy to report that I have not drooled on myself yet, except when sleeping....lol. They changed my med last summer because of an incident and so far so good. I am not having any reactions to it. Not happy about taking any meds, but it keeps me here on planet earth.

• HadIt.com Elder

For me it was the so called mood drugs that affected my weight. How do I know? I have gotten off the mood meds and have lost 64 lbs and still take gabapentin.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried Lyrica?

Yes. Lyrica works better for me. Been on gabapentin for years. 400mgx3x3 or 3600mg. Gabapentin seemed to help at first but diabetic neuropathy kicked in on top of other pain and just didn't work any more.

Has anyone been prescribed a Provant machine? I've been using one for about two months for my feet. I feel silly using it. It is a yellow electrical box about six by ten by fourteen. Has a one inch thick pad about four by nine that I rest my foot on while the machine is running. It is supposed to send out some sort of pulse that surrounds my foot and ankle. I can feel it tingling but not much of a decrease in pain, iif any. I'm in the middle of changing meds for pain and diabetes while I"m trying out the machine.

It was prescribed by my primary care doctor. Some doctor at the Houston VA is championing it. I think it is primarily used for wound recovery. I'm not real sure. It came to me with very little information on what it is for and how it is to be used.