Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Painful Process Ends In Some $Uccess...

Rate this topic

SergeantQ

Greetings Vets, thanks all for your service!

My husband and I are both 10 year Army Veterans who initiated claims separately in Dec 2010. Mine was for my back and arm; my husband, both of his knees… He was Airborne and messed up his knees while serving (reconstructive surgery, ACL replacement, arthritis and sever pain).

Well, my claim was denied after a year wait. Even though my military records clearly showed documentation. The problem I ran into was I stop going to VA doctors and started going to civilian doctors after I separated from service. Still, I am appealing. It’s been in appeal status since Dec 2011 with absolutely NO MOVEMENT in ebenefits.

My husband, again, since Dec 2010 finally got some movement on his claim in May 2013. He had a comp and pen exam May 15, 2013 and a 20% decision in ebenefits two weeks later. Retro hit the bank three days after that. So, in a span of literally two weeks after his last exam his claim closed. Basically, the rating is terrible because his dependants are not even included in there and after three long years it truly is heartbreaking. We are planning on appealing. We know it’s going to take forever for them to honor this appeal to increase his rating but we have to stand for something.

Good luck to all, and if anyone has appeals advice please share.

Thadine Q.

Welcome to Hadit! Thank you both for your Service and Good Luck in your Claims Process!

Edited by #1Cavtrooper

Why arrive at the grave relatively unscaithed, rather than to skid in sideways yelling "Holy Crap! What a Ride!"

It shouldn't make a difference if you went to the VA doctor or Civilian doctors. They look at the records and they don't care who is treating you. Did you sign a release of information for them to obtain your civilian medical records? What they are looking for is to see if its chronic or not and if they didn't have your civilian records to see that then they will say it was resolved because they look for "residuals". An IMO would be your best bet.

Edited by rpowell01

Hi all, I appreciate the feedback.

No, I didn't know about the IMO.

Yes, I completed release forms and had evidence submitted by my external doctors. However, they still denied my claims and svc connected me zero percent for a scar on my ankle. Something that I wasn't even pursuing.

Yes, we know u have to be at least thirty percent to get dependent pay which was why we was so sad that he didn't, at minimum, get 30. Since the one knee required reconstructive surgery we hoped for 20 and then on the overcompensating knee 10. Just sad that it didn't come through but i'm thankful and still grateful for the small victory.

Thadine Q.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use