Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure I have much of a chance of ever getting SC'ed for OSA, but I did have a recent sleep study. I had 157 apneas and 115 partial apenas in 280 of sleep. My oxygen saturation fell to 70%. I am scared to close my eyes because the doctor has told me I have profound OSA and that I am going to die. The CPAP has not worked well for me. Now my DMII is getting worse. I am overweight 6'1"/ 240 lbs. I used dental device and provent with no result. What treatment options do I have that I don't know about?

John

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I did contact Dr. Bash to see if there is any connection between DMII and OSA. If I am going to die in my sleep at least maybe I can get it SC'ed so my wife gets accrued benefit or something. I don't care that much about SCing my apnea, but I am angry and want to take it out on someone. I like to kick the VA about once a year for something on account of the way they treated me when I got out in 1971.

I did contact Dr. Bash to see if there is any connection between DMII and OSA. If I am going to die in my sleep at least maybe I can get it SC'ed so my wife gets accrued benefit or something. I don't care that much about SCing my apnea, but I am angry and want to take it out on someone. I like to kick the VA about once a year for something on account of the way they treated me when I got out in 1971.

I thought I could hold a grudge. John I am just a newbie on here and sometimes I do the same things you spoke of in your posts (think about some of them at least) Try not to let it eat at you. Personally I found that all my rage and resentment of what should have, could have and would have is just a waste of time and counter productive. You may not solve your problems or even make significant changes in your condition but that shouldn't mean you throw in the towel or let it eat at you from the inside in such a manner that there is nothing left of your soul. Come to think of it I am guilty of this at times but it reminds me that I still need to fight even if I know I may loose, I just know that I need to keep trying and not give up. Take this for what it's worth. Im just being sincere. Good luck hadit friends.

Back when I first was dx with OSA maybe 10 years ago, the ENTs at Bethesda Naval Hosp said that there were a couple of surgery options. Each was extremely painful and had a 50% success rate. Maybe they were trying to scare me into compliant usage of the machine, but having spoken with a few who have endured surgery for OSA, they aren't all that happy with the outcome. Sounds from the above that there could be other options today that work much better. I've done well with my CPAP and nose pillows, but that solution isn't for everyone. I really like this set up better than the original vaccum cleaner exhaust system that was originally issued. The pulmonist who's treating my OSA now also has OSA himself and cannot tolerate a CPAP. You're certainly not alone. And now you've got a bunch of voices inside and outside the medical establishment trying to give you their best advice. Hang in there.

All I can tell you is that your life is very valuable and of way too much worth for OSA to take you outta here.

I did contact Dr. Bash to see if there is any connection between DMII and OSA.

I have DMII and OSA. What did Dr. Bash say?

My DMII is service connected and have very severe OSA. Thinking about filing a claim for OSA as secondary to DMII, but wondering what evidence there is to support this.

Thanks.

I hadall the OAS Surgery. Nazal canal straightend, everything cut out including the Uvola. It worked for about 5 months then the SA came back with a storm. CPAP helps but I still have problems on occasion. Don't know if there is a real fix or not.