VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency Claims (Changes In The Works)

Rate this question

harleyman

Question

Well as some of you may know General Allison Hickey Under Secretary of the VA, has been making her rounds to many of the VA Regional Offices and conducting a few hour presentation to the VA employees about thier current work in progress and future changes.

One of the interesting changes the General informed VA employees in her recent visit are the changes currently being implemented in how the VA handles dependency claims.

Evidently, the VA is training the phone/ call center people on how to add dependents into the computer system right over the phone. Resulting in a rapid approched in adding dependents to Veteran's awards. There are some call centers that have implemented this as a satilite program in about 30% if their dependency calls. It seems to be working quite well and they are starting to make the changes at more call centers as we write, thus eliminating the majority of dependency claims, except for those where there are financial administrative issues involved and it takes a person to intervene.

The General stated she did not understand why Veteran's have to jump through so many hoops to simply add their spouse or thier child to their award. She related her experience in the military when you walked up to the window and told the pay clerk you got married or you had a child born, and they added them onto your pay right then and the next payday you had the increase on your pay check. She said our Veteran's are fully capable and be trustworthy and competent enough to tell us if they are married or have children, and there is no reason why dependency claims cannot be handled over the phone with instant computer entry.

I don't know about all of you, but I like this General, and I see some good changes in store for Veteran's in the next 1 to 3 years as VA goes paperless. Hang in there everyone I see clearer skies ahead. As I have time I will try to share more of the things that were presented by the General. By the way, we all found her to be very practical and engaging, but straight forward and she states she had a desire to get rid of the dead weight of some of the processes that were implemented through "fear" by VA, rather than in the spirit of granting benefits to disabled Veterans.

If there is something you want to see changed I will be happy to submit your ideas. (serious ideas for implmenting changes only please) :) harleyman

Edited by harleyman

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

She did tell us her family and friends told her she was crazy to take on this job, as the VA was in such a terrible position at the time, they felt she may have been taking on more than she could handle and they warned her not to take the position. She elected to work for VA and help Veterans.

When she stood up in front of our group of employees and told them and I quote;,

" YOU ARE NOT JUDGES YOU ARE ADJUDICATORS" and she repeated it about 3 or 4 times, and then she told the RVSRs, and I quote, "grant if you can and deny only if you must." AND REPEATED THAT ABOUT 3 TIMES.

So they are not judges, but acting like judges?

ad·ju·di·cate

v. ad·ju·di·cat·ed, ad·ju·di·cat·ing, ad·ju·di·cates
v.tr.
1. To hear and settle (a case) by judicial procedure.
2. To study and settle (a dispute or conflict): The principal adjudicated our quarrel.
v.intr.
To act as a judge.

• HadIt.com Elder

Get it while you can because the wind can start blowing in the opposite direction with a new administration that may think vets are lazy and overpaid. I think from what I have read that VA HQ, and their congressional minders think 100% and TDIU vets suck up too much of the money in the system. Of course, these are the vets that really need it. VA thinks we are like the 90 year old medicare members who suck up large money in final days.

John

Just an update on my dependent claim. It was received and processed on the 29th of August. So I don't know if there is some new process, but that was fast..... I don't know how I feel about saying that about the V.A. Next day service is nice. I got the letter in the mail yesterday.

I submitted my claim for dependency after my intial award (June 2012) of 30% a few days after I realized they were paying me at a single rate. I had submitted all of the necessary information along with the original claim in the beginning. I even called the 1-800 number to get more information on the claim here in GA. I even remember reading here on Hadit that dependency should not be treated as a claim but as an ancillary benefit. They continued to say that it was a claim. Of course I know that normally the projected completion date is 99% of the time wrong. This should be a fairly easy process. I believe that the VA does this and hopes that you don't file for your dependants. It is sad to say I know some people who have gone on for years without their dependants added. The sad part about this is that I have 17 year old twins and they will turn 18 in January of next year. I'll bet that once my girls turn 18, I will then get a decision and then they will ask me to send in more information on schooling, ( which will delay the process again).

Dependency is a claim for compensation, not a claim for ancillary beneftis. It is considered a NON-rating claim, meaning a rater does not have to rate it, but it needs to be processed as a claim for compensation benefits otherwise.

A dependent is a child until thier 18th birthday. Once they turn 18 they will be removed form the award. If you child is still in high school when they turn 18 years old make sure you send in the 21-686c telling VA the child is still in high school and when they are due to graduate. Send in the form about 60 days before their birthday.

If your child plans to attend college you will also need to fill out the 21-674, indicating thier school and course of study nd thier estimated completion date for the college they plan to attend and you will need to send in confirmation from the college showing they are enrolled full time.

Once they are 18 years old they are no longer a minor child they then become a school age child. This means you get more money for them a dependents if they attend school.

Yes, there are times when the VA will ask for photocopies of marriage licenses especially if there is more than one marriage involved. This usually happens if the VA form 21-686c in not filled out completely or properly. Usually adding a dependent is a fairly quick process, however, there are times when back pay is involved or retro-pay back to an old grant with an Earlier Effective date, can take time. Retirment offset or separation pay offst all take time to figure out. Not all dependancy claims are easy to work.

Things at the VA are improving now that VA is not trying to rate RVN veterans claims in the NEHMER project. We are back to the regular claims processing and no more NEHMER, well, once in a while we still get a claim that qualifies for benefits under NEHMER. SO things are moving again and I do think there have been some positive changes in how the workload is being processed. -IMO

Edited by harleyman