Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Rental Property And 100 Percent Permanent And Total Iu

Rate this question

ytheydothis

Question

I been researching trying to find an answer...Im a 100 percent permanent and total and IU.

I have rental property and can make around 900 a month will that cause me to lose any of my benefits and is it considered work also recieves social security disability benefits... Thank You

Edited by ytheydothis

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I been researching trying to find an answer...Im a 100 percent permanent and total and IU.

I have rental property and can make around 900 a month will that cause me to lose any of my benefits and is it considered work also recieves social security disability benefits... Thank You

I was told by my VSO that as long as you do not manage the rental property you are good to go. I also have rental property but I have hired a managment company to rent them out and collect the rent. Then its no different then income from investments. If you do not have a rental company get one ASAP.

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

Owning rental or investment property is okay. Managing such property could be considered gainful employment. I agree with JimMac - you might want to get a management company, or a family member, to manage it for you.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files2/1317141.txt

"Although the Veteran has consistently reported in written statements to VA that his PTSD has been chronic and severe since 2004, rendering him unable to sustain gainful employment and causing him total occupational impairment, and has also reported in written statements to VA that he stopped working in July 2003 as a result of his PTSD, several of the treatment records dated prior to June 7, 2008, do not corroborate this assertion. More specifically, an April 2005 psychiatry note reveals that the Veteran reported managing an investment business and taking care of real estate and was "semi-retired, but making a living;" and a November 2005 pulmonary outpatient consult note reveals that the Veteran reported current part time employment in a real estate business in sales/investments with his son. In addition, the Veteran reported being self-employed as a real estate investor at the time of the August 2004 VA examination and a December 2006 letter from Commerce Bank of Kansas was addressed to the Veteran at a lawn and tree service."

Social Security considers income from rental property to be investment income; and not earnings from employment. In fact most of the cases I found were involving people who were claiming part of their rental income as employment income for services they provided to try to qualify for having enough quarters of covereage.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/oasi/47/SSR75-18-oasi-47.html, http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/oasi/47/SSR65-28-oasi-47.html

Yet still, what Social Security counts as employment income for qualifying for benefits is not always the same for what they count as employment income when receiving benefits. So I still wouldn't want to push the issue by doing any substantial active management. Collecting rent and doing a small amount of management should be okay. But substantial management of anything that is earning money could be risky.

Think Outside the Box!

• Lead Moderator

If you have a tax advisor, ask him or her how you report your income. If you report this as "investment income", and dont take an active role in managing rental properties, then its likely ok.

However, if you are your own rental property manager and "fix it" man, then you are probably generating "earned income" as opposed to investment income. Ask your tax advisor which category you are in.

Veterans receiving IU are not precluded from making investments, but IU does preclude "substantial gainful employment". The difference seems to be are you actively managing your rental properties, collecting rent, fixing things, etc.

• HadIt.com Elder

Investment income is not the same as working. Includes stocks and bonds.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use