VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

One more thing I forgot to add...Several years ago I had trouble walking because of the constant pain in my left foot. I later found out by my VA Dr that I had sever nerve damage due to being in the military. They wanted to operate and do tarsal tunnel surgery on it saying it would take the pain away and it would be better. Like a fool, I believed it and had the surgery. I've barley been able to walk since. I put in a claim for it with all the right evidence. Months later I got my bbe in the mail. I was denied! The explanation was, there wasnt any evidence showing I had any injuries in my "right" foot. My Right foot!! My claim and all evidence clearly stated my "left" foot. I went to my VSO the next day and was told that I should have never put a claim in for that. I asked if I should appeal it and he said, No not unless you want to lose your IU. He said the VA would take away my IU if I appeal it. I never appealed it nor put in another claim for it. I have several claims I never put in for because I was told the same thing by him each time, you will lose your IU. This was several years ago and much before my hadit days so I basically didn't know any better and thought he knew his job and besides that...he was there to help me. I really just didnt know any better. Thank you to all hadit people for the time you put into this site. You have taught me butt loads of information and I now feel more confident in filling a claim. Thank you to everyone on hadit for you comments and your personal experiences. Its comforting knowing I'm not fighting this battle alone.

"The explanation was, there wasnt any evidence showing I had any injuries in my "right" foot. My Right foot!! My claim and all evidence clearly stated my "left" foot."

I hope you can file a CUE for that.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

Clear and Unmistakable Error. If there was enough evidence that the left foot should have been granted, you might be able to file that they clearly made an error.