VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

• HadIt.com Elder

Years ago I asked a American Legion VSO about filing a CUE. I thought he was going to faint. If you file a CUE on the foot it should not affect other claims, but perhaps it could slow down a decision if you are close. I filed a CUE while I had another CUE at the BVA. No problem except $8400 in retro and SMC "S".

Supposedly I am close according to American Legion but who knows they have been telling me that since the end of May. I definitely don't want to affect my claim I have now. The VA took my IU because they say I didnt turn in a form before Feb 1st. I turned it in on Jan 22 which VAs computer system shows but they took it anyway and claim it was a computer error. I lost 2/3 of the check I had been getting for 6 years. It's been really hard on me financially. I have 1 boy in college, 2 teenage boys in high school and a 10 yr old daughter. This has been a fight from the beginning and my VSO doesn't seem to have any knowledge on how to fix it. He says he's never seen this happen before and he's learning from the experience.

if I lose the reopen claims, I think im going to pull the plug on my SO. Its seems like the va RO system is a freeforall of lies, incompetence, deception, and swindling, and once it goes to Appeals, all that comes to a screeching halt for the most part, and they must follow the law, which they dont seem to be good at doing at the regional level.

Im not going to beg, or bargain when I have great evidence. enough already, ...

infantry10,

I am so sorry to hear that. So you have been waiting since May for the VA to straighten out a computer error? It sure would be nice if they had people who could just fix things that are easily fixed.

I had a battle with the VA over freezing funds in my bank account after my husband died and then reclaiming the money even though they had noted I was entitled to it. Every time I got in contact with them, they promised to send it to the department who took care of those things. I finally wrote and asked my Congressman for assistance. I got my check FAST! And they even wrote a letter and actually ADMITTED it was an error.

Thank you free spirit!! I was told on Jan 22 that everything was fine and the form was in the computer so I would be getting paid as normal. But, on March 1st I checked my acct and 2/3 of my check was missing. I called them and was told it would take 3 months to fix. Its been (almost) 9 months now and nothing is fixed. My VSO said VA wanted me to resubmit the form so I did. In April I got a letter with a C&P exam scheduled. The VSO said he didnt understand why they were making do a C&P exam but just to do whatever they asked me to do. I went to the exam in early April and moved to prep for decision on May 18. Each person I've talked to at my RO says, anyone can clearly see it was VAs mistake and didnt understand how it happened and why they havent got it fixed yet. I did a IRIS and after 3 weeks I got a email saying they couldn't give me any information other than, normal claims are taking approximately 9 months to complete but I should call the American Legion for updates and provided me a number. I called the number only to get chewed out by some grouchy man saying, you were in the military!! You know how chain of command works!! Don't ever call this office again if you want a update call your local American Legion office. So far nobody has been able to help me with this issue and only say they've never seen anything like this before. So basically I've been waiting since March 1st. Im glad you got your claim fixed and completed!