VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

PR, I came back to this thread because I forgot to mention that you too took the NVLSP training course.

Not only that but you and I had some great one to one time discussing VAOLA in the past. Far more informative to me then ever talking to any of my past reps.

And as John said the course is really very basic because it is up to us to keep up to date on the regs and the way things change at VA.

I donated the VBM for a few years in a row to my local former state reps for the vets to use ,as well as them.

I asked where one of the VBMs was ,one day when I was doing some volunteer work for them and the boss said Oh those VBMs are upstairs somewhere. (in a storage room)

I asked if he himself had ever looked them over and he said No.

That was the end of my yearly VBM donations to them.

You are correct Flip.....the annual VBM contains the whole nitty gritty.It is a superb investment for any claimant to make.

And essential for vet advocates.

There are only a few of the VSOs who read the Veterans Benefit Manual to understand the legalistic of VA Claims. Last year I asked a VSO at Bay Pines about the 5 year rule and he stated there was no such thing. Well I come home and found there was one. Then my NEW VSO from the same organization was pretty much on with it, he knew a lot. He actually knew of Dr. Bash. So, it just depends on the VSO him/herself if they know enough.

A good example of a VSO giving answers on this site is I posted on here that The VA MUST retrieve medical records in their possession but some guy tells me they don't, for claims. Well to make the answer easy, yes they must or the decision can be a CUE. If not then I guess the VBM and the Appeals Court are wrong then. And like the VA they don't follow the law in almost 98% of the claims.

I would get a VBM book from online and I would study it if I was you and you will understand what I am talking about. There are only a handful of folks on here I believe because everything they told me was in the VBM.

I read it every time I have a conference call in the man's room!!!!

Edited by rpowell01

"I read it every time I have a conference call in the man's room!!!!"

What a hoot that was. LOL!!!!!

I considered once getting my IMOs printed on toilet paper that could be put into the ROs rater's bathrooms..

I couldn't figure out any other way to get my IMO evidence read by the VA.

I also considered sending my RO a bunch of pizzas with the IMOs enclosed inside the Pizza box but that would have been too expensive.

I almost forgot, I actually sent my IMOs to the acting Deputy Sec of VA before Shinseki got in.( Acting Sec Mansfield) telling him the RO rfefused to read my IMOs so maybe if he sent them to my VARO they would read them.

Acting VA Sec. Mansfield actually did that for me.

My RO got his cover letter and my IMOs.

And They STILL refused to read them.

I hate to say it but it is an appropo comment here......

I was sure on the ROs S--t list.

I believe there are a handful of VSO's who do work on claims because they want to help veterans and to them I say thank you!! But the ones like I have, dont care if you have 10% or 100% and give you so much misinformation. They have told me lies just to get me off the phone and never seem to know how to answer a question correctly and timely. I usually get the, uh uhh uhhh....ill have to find that out for you. But then never call me back with a answer and act as if they don't know what I'm talking about next time I talk to them. So to them I say, thanks for Nothing!!

I can tell you when I had a VSO doing all my work I got 10% Originally, then at 30% and asked for a NOD and was told by my VSO he didn't advise it, I won and for 20 years I was at 50% because I was afraid to file on fear of losing my 50% now I filed for an increase got a continuation and 10% for a Linked condition and I filed again on my own and So far 90+ days and counting on that claim, but I think the biggest pieces of support I get is from my previous doctor who had been treating me up to one year ago before retiring kept very good records and when I got copies of them show what I am attempting to claim now. I just hope I can continue to prove everything and get results. I may have to ask for an earlier effective date as the record clearly shows YEARS of this condition and the added effects that it causes but I hope they see it and don't make me fight for it, but This is the VA after all Fight you for everything... After all they Deny, Deny, Deny all they can. Thanks to HADIT for the support and great work they do for us and to you all for taking your own fate into your own hands, I truly believe you can do better...

Mike