VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

I second that motion on Chicago!

I am also trying to decide whether to keep my VSO or go back to pro se at the moment. I don't feel comfortable with the VSO at all. And I am still somewhat aggravated at him rolling his eyes at me during the hearing.

Can I ask - if you have a VSO, do they consider the VSOs arguments to be THE arguments that need to be addressed? (not that my VSO has actually argued anything yet). Or do they (as in the BVA) also have to address the claimant's written argument? I don't really want my arguments to be swept to the side, especially as I don't really trust the VSO to present them well... if at all.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

I have worked with a few Veterans Service Officers over the years. Some are better than others.

Only one of them really seemed to care and went above and beyond in his efforts to help veterans.

That guy was a State VFW SO: My husband claimed multiple conditions at retirement and after all contentions were denied we appealed and got this VSO.

This guy worked his butt off helping us digging up evidence and when we had the BVA hearing he argued like Perry Mason. He won all contentions. The man was amazing and we are forever in his debt. Everyone I talked to who had him said he was the best VSO for them, too.

Unfortunately his successor in the office is a waste of space by all accounts.

Next up: 5 years later and another VFW SO in a different city and state. We were filing for increases as the SC conditions had gotten much worse, and secondary issues cropped up. This person acted like we were wasting his valuable time. He put down increases on issues belonging to another veteran! Lucky I caught that one. Then he never answered questions, or calls. We had an appointment one day to discuss a recent exam and he was very abrupt and dismissive. Afterwards he called me and said he couldn't help us anymore. I asked why and he said "I just can't talk to your husband, I can't understand anything the guy says." Yeah, maybe the fact he just had a stroke and his speech is slowly coming back explains that. That's why I sit there and clarify anything you don't understand. I shudder that this jerk actually works with disabled veterans with that level of patience and compassion. I filed a complaint with the State VSO who said he'd had complaints before. The jerk is still a VSO.

We prepared and filed a DRO for my husband on our own and he got most of his increases approved and, thanks to an astute QTC doc (!) a new SC for 50% that we didn't even know you could get. Wish they still used that guy!

Fast forward a couple years: At the BVA again and we get a call that there is an opportunity to see a judge in 3 days. We send off the waiver and call the State VFW, who still has POA, and ask for help in preparing for the hearing. We drive 500 miles across state to the VARO - 3 days early but we are NOT taking any chances on missing it. I try frantically to talk to a VSO about our case but nada. VFW gives us an appointment one hour before our hearing time. We actually see a VSO about 40 minutes before. We have never talked to this guy and he has no clue what we our case is about. That hearing went very badly, he told the judge my husband gets SSD, I had to correct that. He mentioned combat experience - I had to correct that. He mentioned stuff we never claimed. It was bad. The judge was getting visibly annoyed and boom, we are done. Hearing took all of 20 minutes and the VSO wasted 15 of them with incorrect info. On the way out he laughs and says "Don't send Guido after me if you lose." Funny, haha - I wish I could afford "Guido."

5 more years and lots of research and money laid out for IMO and hearing good things about them we get the DAV to help us. No local yokels, we go back to the VARO and talk to the State DAV Rep. She says she will order a copy of the C-file and call us. She never does. We get assigned a new guy without notice.

Right now I am trying to undo the damage done by the DAV. They said "Don't worry about that request for a new 21-8940, they always ask that. They already have one, Ebenefits is never right. They will consider all the SC conditions for IU, they always do."

"Hmm. You're sure? We only put one SC down? OK, you're the expert." Except that "expert" was totally clueless until we got the denial and I did my own research on here and I told him about Fast Letter 13-013. The DAV response? "Wow, never heard of that before, that sucks. I guess you can re-apply."

Seriously?

OK, so I was stupid on this one - if the VA asks for something: SEND IT! It doesn't matter if you sent 500 of them already. Send it. :blush:

But I am not that much of a slow learner! I am still the closest thing to a Veterans Service Officer my husband has - but now we are hiring a Veterans attorney.

I just sent a packet to one who seems like she actually cares. I hope so. Far as I'm concerned she can have all the retro if she wins this.

There ARE good VSO's out there. I knew one of the best. But there are also plenty more - at all levels - who probably got blanket-partied a few times in service and now are getting even. :biggrin:

Sue

Problem with most VSOs is that they don't make any money, atleast not in Texas. My VSO is a buddy of mine and he only works two days a week for $800 a month, can you believe it. He is a great guy, but what can I expect out of him for the few bucks he makes. I just try to learn as I make mistakes, and try not to make them again. The VA the last 5 years does not have a good track record. I got a few high ranking Friends in the VA system, and they tell me they spend more time yelling at workers for their mistakes, then doing good, or even training.

i have had a couple good ones. but the last one i dealt with had the audacity to tell me the va screwed up when they gave me IU. he didn't bother to look at my record or read the evidence when he called and told me that. he's dav and i am finished with them. haven't had a good vso in about 5 years.

Guys, I agree whole heartedly that your claim is your claim and you should be heavily involved in your claim. When you submit a claim, you can put what you want on the 526, no one can tell you no! Again, it's your claim!

When you deal with human beings, there will be mistakes, its just human nature. Not one of us are perfect!

63SIERRA, I have no idea why you were told no. No VSO/NSO can tell you not to submit a claim. Did you have a copy of your sleep study with you? I advise each and every individual that when submitting a claim, have the medical documentation to support your claim. Obtain the documentation and submit a FDC, this is the best way to go with the VA these days.

each claim that I do, I put myself in that veterans shoes with those disabilities. may sound weird, but it helps sometimes in what direction I believe the claim should go. What would I do if this were mine? I never do anything that the veteran doesn't want to do. I can assure each and every veteran that if I do not know the answer, I know where to find it, or who to call.

Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburg, Oakland are the worst VARO's right now. although the two in Texas are in the top 10 the aforementioned are the worst.

i think you should include st petersburg!