VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

i have had a couple good ones. but the last one i dealt with had the audacity to tell me the va screwed up when they gave me IU. he didn't bother to look at my record or read the evidence when he called and told me that. he's dav and i am finished with them. haven't had a good vso in about 5 years.

My old VSO told me, if I put anymore claims in that I would lose my IU. I believed him so I never did. I have about 4 good claims and 2 so/so good claims. Don't let a VSO tell you, that the VA must of messed up to award you IU. If the VA gave you IU it's because you earned, deserve and need it. Comments like his really tick me off!!

• HadIt.com Elder

If VSO's would just represent us in congress that would be worth paying dues. When they take on role of being an advocate as a POA they fall down big time. I think vets should be able to hire lawyers from the jump. However, once you make your initial claim and file your NOD you can hire a lawyer (if you can find one that wants your case). Your claim does not have to be denied as I understand it to hire a lawyer. If you are dissatisfied with your rating you file the NOD and then get the lawyer. The trouble is time. It takes a year to get the initial lowball or denial so there is a lot of pressure to get it right the first time and this almost never happens. If you get an SOC that means you have not gotten maximum benefit you might be entitled to get, therefore, the appeal and the lawyer.

infantry,

The VSOs have access to the VAs website, and they can see directly where your case is in the process.

I called my VSO and asked what the status was on my claim cause it went to pending decision approval and was told, they find out the same time I do. I asked if there was a certain person they could call to find out and she said, no, we don't know anything until you do. It didn't make sense to me but I wasn't going to argue with her about it.