Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav Lifetime Membership Worth It?

Rate this question

scythis

Question

Hi all, I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere, so I'm posting this topic. Sorry if I've repeated some other post.

I'm wondering whether the lifetime membership at the DAV is worth the $250. Do they:

1) Give you better representation

2) Work harder for you

3) Give you any other benefits besides discounts

I'm a 70% SC with IU at 100%. I might want to start working. In that case, I want to be sure that the DAV fights for me to retain my 70% SC.

Thanks,

Scythis

Evidently the DAV has an appeals team to work on appeals because thats where they said my claim was. I can imagine a team of senior highly trained DAV officers sitting in a room, reconciling my claim, and preparing a ironclad rebuttal . feverishly sifting thru my medical records, taking notes, making phone calls, collecting information, ect, ect, ..

Then reality hits. I call Dav 3 months after the denied my claims. was told a new service officer was put in charge of my claim. Its been 3 months since he was put in charge. and he has never seen my file. Every time I call him, he says the va is not ready to release my file to him. So if he cant even GET my file how can he be WORKING on my claim. I think he is just blowing me off, and ive basically given up on him. Im doing things myself. I told him explicitly loud and clear in a recorded telephone conversation that he was not authorized by me, to accept anything from the va unless it was a 100 percent rating as my POA. It likely went thru one ear and out the other, because so far, hes been a POS.

Edited by 63SIERRA

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Even if you hire a VSO, regardless of what they do (or don't do), you are still responsible for your claim in the end.

I had a DAV VSO at one point who was excellent, but she retired and the replacement (including the DAV reps at the RO) failed to even live up to being 25% as effective or knowledgeable as her. In the end, I wound up winning my claim without the help of a VSO.

• HadIt.com Elder

63Sierra - ya had me going there!! "Evidently the DAV has an appeals team to work on appeals because thats where they said my claim was. I can imagine a team of senior highly trained DAV officers sitting in a room, reconciling my claim, and preparing a ironclad rebuttal . feverishly sifting thru my medical records, taking notes, making phone calls, collecting information, ect, ect," Then reality hit. hahahahahaha!

pr

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Around here, they are all closed on Friday's too

I am a life member of 4 or 5 veteran organizations. After what happened to vets in congress this last week, I see our money is not being spent wisely. As far as their assistance regards representation with VA disability compensation, I have used the VFW as my POA with all 10 of my claims to date starting in 08, I have never had any communications with the VFW live, email or correspondence regards my claims. You could not prove to me that the VFW has done anything for me. I have everything to include my C-File and have only found one reference to the VFW. And that was my giving them POA. So, maybe they have a file on me. Anyone ever request there file from there POA???

Hamslice

i have learned from a friend at my local clinic that you can request an audit of your c file. thinking about making the request myself.

I've been a lifetime member since 08, I have never gotten any help from the Waco office sometimes when you have a question about your claim you can call on a wed and it's Tuesday before your call is returned,then they don't have any suggestions .DON'T waste the money do your research and read threads in these forums.