VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav Lifetime Membership Worth It?

Rate this question

scythis

Question

Hi all, I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere, so I'm posting this topic. Sorry if I've repeated some other post.

I'm wondering whether the lifetime membership at the DAV is worth the $250. Do they:

1) Give you better representation

2) Work harder for you

3) Give you any other benefits besides discounts

I'm a 70% SC with IU at 100%. I might want to start working. In that case, I want to be sure that the DAV fights for me to retain my 70% SC.

Thanks,

Scythis

I totally agree with the previous posts! My VSO doesn't return calls or mails going on months despite many efforts. I can understand being busy for a few days helping others or even some personal issue they may be attending to but there really isn't a good reason why it drags on for weeks in my book. Didn't even bother to call to tell me when my claim came back approved or if there was anything wrong with the VA's decision. I don't feel I could recommend them as a VSO. I base this on my experiences of giving them "the benefit of doubt" but they have proven to be unresponsive at best. Wish I could've saved the $$ I spent on a lifetime membership...just sayin'

LC

SC,

I did not have a good experience with the DAV, I prefer to learn myself and use my VSO every now and then. If your 70%SC and IU is for PTSD, Good luck trying to word. I have known close to 20 vets that had similar ratings for PTSD and Mental conditions and when they tried to work, they either lost IU or their ratings were reduced. Only you can decide if it is worth bud, I am waiting to hopefully get IU. Have you filed SSDI yet? God bless and hope you have a good Christmas.

I agree with the others; if I new back then what I know now, I would not have joined as a "life member"; totally no real support other than a membership card and submitting data to VA for me that I can do myself.

i became a life member when i got out of the navy in 1988. the vso who represented me during my first medical board helped me to be retained on active duty (what i wanted). my mom chipped in for my life membership. however, in recent years, i have told them several times to go to hell because they don't care about me.

don't waste your money.

I agree with everyone who responded about hiring a VSO to file your claim. When I filed Benefits Delivery at Discharge in 2010, I hired a DAV Rep and he didn't do much when I took all my medical records to him to view anfd file. I learned how to file myself reading the CFR- manual and when I got to my present home of records I went to the VA hospital with my medical records in tow.

I explained that I had (3) knee surgeries for torn meniscus, headaches (due to an electrical explosion while onboard one of my commands), and tinititus due to electrical explosion. It took me two years seeing a phyciatrist, a medical doctor and a speech therapist for the VA to finally order an MRI to which to my surprise showed I had Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. I had a shunt implanted and then was diagnosed with depression, that was later diagnosed at my C & P exam as PTSD. Rated 70%, GAF-Score 60, and 10% hearing loss. I was originally awarded 10% for each knee and 10% hearing loss, o% headaches, in 2010 but was not satisfied.

Like I said, I learned from reading the CFR manual and this website and believe doing your claim yourself you have more interest than a VSO does. Save your money.

Just my $.02 worth

Edited by Proudvet

I am a life member of 4 or 5 veteran organizations. After what happened to vets in congress this last week, I see our money is not being spent wisely. As far as their assistance regards representation with VA disability compensation, I have used the VFW as my POA with all 10 of my claims to date starting in 08, I have never had any communications with the VFW live, email or correspondence regards my claims. You could not prove to me that the VFW has done anything for me. I have everything to include my C-File and have only found one reference to the VFW. And that was my giving them POA. So, maybe they have a file on me. Anyone ever request there file from there POA???

Hamslice