Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Big Christmas Present

Rate this topic

confusion99%

I thought I had received a big Christmas present last week. Last Friday, I looked at ebenefits and saw that they finely completed my dependency claim and my form to switch from Navy retirement (medical), to VA benefits. I had been awarded 80% back on Aug 6, 2013, up from 10%. So I could finely get started in drawing my benefits. I thought that was a great Christmas Present, until this morning, Christmas Day. I new since I was drawing retirement, that now an Audit would have to be done between VA and the Navy.

As I was drinking my coffee this morning, for some strange reason, I logged into ebeneifts as I had done most every morning to see if any movement had taken place. To may surprise I saw they now listed my compensation amount ($1754/mo) on my letters. I then decided to log into my bank account to check for any fraud, like I do most every morning. MERRY CHRISTMAS...what I found was a deposit for at least part of my Retro. ( I guess what they could do before the audit). It was a sizeable amount (over 25K). I had not expected any retro until at least maybe April 2014.

So now I have the money to take care of some medical issues I cannot get through VA. Like eye surgery, (the new laser stuff), and a new set of dentures that I have needed for about 3 years. Don't know what I will do with the rest, In my mind, I don't really need anything else. I live pretty simple and am debt free already, so don't have a bunch of debt to pay off. Maybe buy an AK47 or an AR15 for when the civil war starts, otherwise probably will set up college fund for Grandkids with it.

This has been a long fight, going back to 1992 when I found out they had taken away my 30% for heart disease that I got when I was medically retired in 1977. That left me with 10% for another issue.They quietly took it away in 1978. They said they sent me a letter and I didn't appeal so it was final. Of course, I never received the letter.All those years, it didn't mean any more money, as I was getting more from my Navy retirement, it was just the fact that they did what they did. So now, at 80% the VA benefits are more than my retirement, plus will get XX amount in CRSC benefits, to be calculated. It sure did come as a surprise this morning.

I still have a few contentions in the works including IU, but for now I got a lot more than I ever dreamed I would end up with. Hope everyone else has some kind of Christmas surprise gift that makes them as happy as this has made me.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is Great News to read here today,confusion99%!

"This has been a long fight, going back to 1992 when I found out they had taken away my 30% for heart disease that I got when I was medically retired in 1977. That left me with 10% for another issue.They quietly took it away in 1978."

Do you mean they 'took it away' on paper because of your Mil retirement amount?

In other words , VA sent you the 30% but the Mil deducted it from your Retired Pay?

I thought I had received a big Christmas present last week. Last Friday, I looked at ebenefits and saw that they finely completed my dependency claim and my form to switch from Navy retirement (medical), to VA benefits. I had been awarded 80% back on Aug 6, 2013, up from 10%. So I could finely get started in drawing my benefits. I thought that was a great Christmas Present, until this morning, Christmas Day. I new since I was drawing retirement, that now an Audit would have to be done between VA and the Navy.

As I was drinking my coffee this morning, for some strange reason, I logged into ebeneifts as I had done most every morning to see if any movement had taken place. To may surprise I saw they now listed my compensation amount ($1754/mo) on my letters. I then decided to log into my bank account to check for any fraud, like I do most every morning. MERRY CHRISTMAS...what I found was a deposit for at least part of my Retro. ( I guess what they could do before the audit). It was a sizeable amount (over 25K). I had not expected any retro until at least maybe April 2014.

So now I have the money to take care of some medical issues I cannot get through VA. Like eye surgery, (the new laser stuff), and a new set of dentures that I have needed for about 3 years. Don't know what I will do with the rest, In my mind, I don't really need anything else. I live pretty simple and am debt free already, so don't have a bunch of debt to pay off. Maybe buy an AK47 or an AR15 for when the civil war starts, otherwise probably will set up college fund for Grandkids with it.

This has been a long fight, going back to 1992 when I found out they had taken away my 30% for heart disease that I got when I was medically retired in 1977. That left me with 10% for another issue.They quietly took it away in 1978. They said they sent me a letter and I didn't appeal so it was final. Of course, I never received the letter.All those years, it didn't mean any more money, as I was getting more from my Navy retirement, it was just the fact that they did what they did. So now, at 80% the VA benefits are more than my retirement, plus will get XX amount in CRSC benefits, to be calculated. It sure did come as a surprise this morning.

I still have a few contentions in the works including IU, but for now I got a lot more than I ever dreamed I would end up with. Hope everyone else has some kind of Christmas surprise gift that makes them as happy as this has made me.

No, I mean they took the 30% disability rating away. The letter I never got said that due to lack of "organic evidence" so they just removed the service connection even though I had enlistment physical and 3 reenlistment physicals without heart problems, theyt decided it might be something pre existing. I didn't know about it until 1992 when I went to the VA for something else and decided to check and see if I could get refills on my heart meds. I normally got them filled at military bases and never delt with VA. But bases were closed where I was, so didn't have that option anymore and had been buying them on my own. Everytime I tried to reopen the case, they would deny and send copy of the letter I was supposed to have received, saying the door was closed because I did not appeal the letter.

Very happy for you..congrats!! Time now to do the things you need for your health...oh yeah, going gun shopping sounds fun too!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year...

LC

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use